45

Zayn's POV:

"Wow that looks brilliant babe!" I praised him. After asking him to show me, he'd bashfully shown me his half-finished painting of what looked like the front of our house, with a cat sat on the front step. I was really hoping this wasn't a sign he wanted a cat, though they were easier to look after than I dog I presumed. 

"Maybe daddy should hang it on the fridge when you're all done? So everyone can see just how good a painter my baby is!" I asked him casually, my heart skipping a beat when he beamed at me in response. 

He reacted really positively to praise I'd noticed, more than what you'd expect, probably because he never really got any after his mum died. It was amazing how he was still so positive, and so willing to adjust to living here after all he'd been through. 

I absentmindedly carried on with whatever I was painting, at this point I didn't even know - maybe it would have to be an abstract ... 

I stopped when I felt Louis pat my arm gently, and I was thrilled he felt confident enough to initiate contact with one of us, he'd been very reluctant earlier.

"Yeah love?" I asked him, my attention going to his, apparently finished, painting that he was thrusting in my face. I couldn't help but grin, his childish behaviour becoming more and more apparent with each day. 

I pulled it back slightly, praying the still wet paint hadn't gotten on my face, or even worse my hair, so I could look at it.

"You know I think you could be a famous painter one day Lou, give Picasso a run for his money!"

"You really think its okay?" He asked me quietly, his insecurities clearly showing. 

"Its better than okay! This is definitely going to take pride of place downstairs when its finished drying" I reassured him instantly, placing his painting back on the table as he swayed back and forth on the chair. 

"How about we leave this absolute masterpiece here for it to dry yeah?" I asked him, loving the small giggle that left him after I called it a masterpiece. 

His hands were absolutely covered in paint, though surprisingly he hadn't managed to get it anywhere else on him. I gently guided him towards the bathroom by his wrists, trying to make sure he didn't touch anything on the way there. That was quite a challenge in itself I quickly found out, having to move him away from the walls and the table in the hallway. 

I opened the bathroom door and guided him towards the sink, standing behind him as I wrapped my arms around him gently, filling the sink quickly. 

He leaned into me slightly as I washed the paint off his hands for him. I took this as a good sign, him feeling comfortable enough to seek contact with us was a really good start, and I knew he would relax the more we took over for him. 

"Maybe next time we should give you your bath after you've painted. " I chuckled, seeing his green hands and up his left arm stained blue. 

I cleaned him up, until he was pretty much paint free, and started to dry his hands for him.

"I think your sink looks better this way" He grinned mischievously, pointing to the now rainbow coloured sink.

"Oh do you cheeky boy?" I teased him playfully, glad he was coming out of his shell.

"We'll have to make one of your other daddies clean it up!" I laughed, the bathroom definitely needing a thorough cleaning, but not by me. Cleaning was much more a Liam thing.

I picked him up after his hands were dry, his arms instantly wrapping my neck as he cuddled into me.

I smiled, kissing the top of his head, his fluffy hair tickling my cheek as I carried him downstairs slowly, savouring the time we were spending together.

"Ready for a bottle and a nap Lou?" I asked him as we walked through the house, receiving a mumbled agreement and small nod in response.

He seemed to have a really young headspace yesterday, so we were trying to adjust him to that normally. Including a definite long nap every day and maybe more bottles, especially while he was reluctant to eat.