Chapter XII

"This is my confession

"This is my confession. As dark as I am, I will always find enough light to adore you to pieces, with all of my pieces."
-Johnny Nguyen

I don't remember much.

Only Mor winnowing us back to the house, before I lost conscience.
I awoke the next day, my heartbroken and my soul longing.

I didn't open my eyes, but I knew he was in here. 

My mate, the man that will father my future daughter. If that vision I saw was even true, or a fantasy.

His scent filling my nose, his scarred hand in mine bringing me back. I could hear his steady breath, probably sleeping.

Slowly breaking open my eyes I noticed I this wasn't my room in the river manor.

I looked over to Az, as if sensing my gaze his eyes snapped open.

"You're awake, " he squeezed my hand and I simply nodded not knowing what to say.

"How long, " the words reminded me of the night we first spoke to each other, when I spoke the same thing then.

"A few hours, Les, " he paused as he was gaining confidence. "What happened?" his hazel eyes met mine with a fear that broke my heart.

I looked down at our hands intertwined. I tugged on it, looking back up at him.

He raised a brow and I pulled on his hand again. "Please, " my voice came out more broken than I wanted it to.

He slowly climbed into the bed, I pulled the blankets back. While laying his head on the fluffy pillows, I watched his wings shift into position.

He laid still his only movements, the rise and fall of his chest.

"Eris said that he would send my body and watched as my sister cried and begged for me to come back, " I took a deep breath gathering my thoughts.

"I never hated myself more for leaving her searching for something I didn't even know existed. I begged for anyone to help me and I got you, " I poked his chest as his arm snaked around my waist pulling me into him."I didn't know I could be this happy."

"didn't know?" he questioned with a hint of worry.

"I saw a little boy standing in the middle of the street. Mor was a few yards ahead and I went to see if he was fine. He had tears running down his cheeks, he said that he could not  find his mother. I offered to help him, he hugged me as thanks, " I took a deep breath looking up at him.

"When his arms wrapped around me I- I went back to the overlook where we found out about us." I didn't know the tears were falling till he whipped them away for me.

"I walked to the edge, I saw a little girl and a male. The child called me. She called me mom, she asked if I would come play with her." I squeezed my eyes shut remembering the child's voice.

"I ran down the stairs and she jumped into my arms. The males face, I could see, like-like it was covered with shadows." he stiffened, and I gripped his shirt.

"The child looked exactly like me, her eyes were what stuck out to me. Hazel. I turned back to the male to see you, Az. I saw you." I was sobbing now, looking up into his eyes that were lined with tears.

"I knew then..." I breathed.

"Mates." he finished my thought.

How long have you known?" I asked as a tear slid down his cheek that hasn't been shaved in a few days.

"The very beginning, " his voice came out as a breath.

Since the begging, the first time ever feeling it he knew. I had my head in the clouds, "Why," I asked, pulling back to meet his eyes straight on.

"I was terrified, Lesley, I almost killed Eris and I didn't even know you yet." My heart broke a little thinking of the man before me scared of anything.

I slowly raised my hands to cup his face, "you are the most strong and brave person I know, there is no reason to be scared." My lip started to shake.

"I love you, Az," before I knew what was happening his lips were on mine in a loving kiss that could shatter that could shatter worlds.

We pulled apart breathless, "I love you too."

I jumped out of his grasp, already missing his touch.

With his hand in mine, I led him to the kitchen.