Chapter XVI

"Some people are worth melting for

"Some people are worth melting for."
-Olaf

The large pond stood in front of me, thick ice sparkling in the midday sunlight.

I heard a curse from beside me, "how do these things work?"

I laughed at my mate who was wobbling on the thin blades. "Are they tight enough around the ankles?"

He gave me a spectacular look, "Yes... why?"

"I don't want to deal with an Illyrian baby after he's broken his ankle," I stepped onto the ice and skated towards the middle.

Azriel huffed and stretched his wings wide, I skated towards him.

"I won't let you fall." I spun around in circles, giving him a cheeky smile.

He places a single foot onto the ice testing to get familiar. "Use your wings to keep your balance," another foot.

His feet were spread wide, both hands holding onto my shoulders. "Move legs closer together," he cursed again as he almost fell backward.

I held in laughter, "Good, spread your wings."

Once he was able to stand still with my help, I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his chest. "What is this for love," he spoke softly, petting down my hair.

"I love you," and I pulled out of his arms, he yelped as his arms and wings both flapped.

He was only able to catch his balance once he bowed his wings like he was about to catch a draft of wind.

"Good, now come to me," a proud smile etched onto my face.

"You're talking to me like a child learning to first walk," he grumbled, his legs still stiff as aboard.

"You are learning to walk on ice, bend your legs and push off of them," I explain as I skated circles around him.

I stopped once he tried his first step, then another.

Before I even knew what was happening he was racing behind me. The only sound was the blades on ice and me laughing as he grabbed me by the waist, spinning us around.

"You had to know how to skate before this," I huffed, still trying to catch my breath.

"No, no, I just had a very good teacher," he buried his head into my neck, placing feather-like kisses.

A soft moan escaped me and my eyes fluttered closed. My yelp was cut short as he picked me up and placed my legs around his waist when his lips met mine.

"You know Winter Solstice is next week," he cupped my cheek and I opened my eyes.

They widened immediately when I spotted the thick crack racing towards up. "Az, fly to back toward the sides,"

"What, why-" I cut him short.

"Please, Az, go, I'll be fine, watch this" I kissed his lips before he set me down softly and darted into the sky.

He was hundreds of feet in the sky before he spotted the growing crack. "Lesley!" and he started diving back towards the ground.

Azriel was too late. I was already burrowing into my powers as I stomped my ice skates onto the ice.

All around me ice sprayed, the ice under me cracking like a spider's web. I stood as stiff as Azriel had once he first stood on the ice, my focus settled on a large ice chunk that was under my feet.

It grew thicker, tall, the others around it thinned till they were nothing. "Lesley!" I heard my mate, but I blocked him out, "what the hell are you doing!?"

I sat almost a hundred feet in the air with my mate on the ground looking like he was about to pass out, "Get up here you Illyrian baby!"

He shot into the air, and landed on my pillar of ice, his siphons glowing. "What the hell was that?" he asked in a low voice that I've never heard before.

"Why, are you angry?" I sat Indian style and looked up to his hazel eyes.

"Yes! I'm angry, my mate was in danger!" and I let the laugh slip.

I rolled to my side and I laughed, barely able to get the words out, "I'm sorry- Az."

He stood shocked, if he wouldn't have been as good at hiding his emotion she would have bet his jaw would be hanging open.

"Did you miss the part where I said, watch this and I'll be fine," I stood and opened my arms.

He stepped into my arms and buried his head into my neck. He breathed in my scent, holding me tightly enough I had to tap his back to ask him to give me some slack to breathe.

"You were in danger, I couldn't help you. I was helpless, clueless, and terrified. We just found each other, I didn't want to lose you."

"I love you," I kissed his cheek, "I love you," his other cheek. "I love you so much, and I am so sorry," I kissed his lips.

"I'm still angry," he pouted, even though the edges of his lips were begging to climb upward.

What do you think of the new cover?