Chapter XVII

"Completely and perfect incandescently happy"-Jane Austen

-Jane Austen

I stood on the terrace, the letter from my sister in my hand.

Ice blocks floated down the Sidra River as a chilling gust of wind blew my loose hair. The coldness is familiar yet still felt odd, being away from my court was taking a toll.

I wrapped my arm around my waist, "that's my job," I looked over my shoulder to see my mate leaning against the doorway.

"How long have you been watching?" he walked towards me and replaced my arms with his.

"Long enough, " he mumbled into my neck.
He started quite for a few minutes, enjoying each other and the warmth. "I need to return home to check on my sister, " he pulled me tighter against his chest.

"Come with me, a few days before Winter Solstice, celebrate with my people and return there for yours. But..." I drifted off, "but we would have to leave tomorrow"

"Yes, " he whispered.

"Yes?" I turned around to look him in the eye.

"I've always heard of the extraordinary winter court celebrations, " he smirked. I barked a laugh when he grabbed my hands and spun me around.

***

Mor protested a lot, her squawks of protest could be heard all around the city. She only gave in when I promised to give Viviane the whole load of baby clothes the women already bought. Immediately after she went and bought more.

Azriel and I stood in the slight snow shower as Mor handed me more and more bags as she explained the contents of each.

My mate was smothering a laugh as he slid his hands in the winter court style jacket I bought him. When both of our arms were full I truly didn't know who we were gonna travel with.

"Well... Some of these clothes are for older children... I'll save those for next year, " Mor thought as she placed her arms on her hips.

She took back over half of the bags, Az did laugh then.

More flipped us off as Azriel shot into the sky with me in his arms.

About five minutes into the freezing flight I was wondering if my nose was frozen. "I could have winnowed us, " I shivered, yanking my jacket to cover my neck.

"I know, " was all he said, an evil smirk played out on his face. "I wanted to see how long a Winter Court raised could last in Night Court weather."

"Yor prick!" I smacked his chest and a deep laugh escaped him.

"Go ahead, " he nodded his head, the smile still there.

Light flash and we were standing at the entry of the Winter Court Manner. The sound of laughter and music was echoed through the city.

I pushed open the large doors that slide open silently. Guards at the door smiled at me but kept a watchful eye on my mate.

The foyer of the house was empty, the ice chandelier that hung above hummed with my abilities.

My idea, a type of security, both Viviane and Kallias would immediately know who entered their home.

I heard a gasp and quick, silent on the tile floors. I smiled an evil smirk.

"I'm home-"

"Don't you dare!" my sister shouted from still upstairs.

"Bitches!" a groan was heard in response and a chuckle from who I would guess from my brother in law.

Viviane ran as quickly as she could down the stairs a hand on her pregnant dump.

She leaped her arms coming around its neck, she hugged me as tightly as she could with the dump in the way.

"Hello, Azriel?" Kallias welcome was more of a question.

"No way, " my sister whispered. "Mate! Lesley!" she clapped her hands together, her eyes glowing.

I looked over at my may who stood behind me, who looked more like a guard than my lover. Grabbing my hand I pulled him to my side, "rule number one for this trip, please look happy. You can still protect me as much as you want, but all these guards are trained by the only."

"Rules?" an evil sparked in his eyes.

"Az-" I warned.

"I have multiple rules, for multiple different situations, " his eyes grew dark then.

"Couch, for both that and making me freeze, " his jaw dropped and we both turned to look like the high lord and lady of Winter Court.

They were both smiling and had a glow on their eyes that I had never seen before, it frightened me. A little.

I just finished reading A Kingdom of Flesh  and Fire by Jennifer L. Armentrout, and I have no clue how I am gonna survive the next few months without knowing. what. is. going. on!!

110% recommend the blood and ash series!