Chapter II

"All hope is lost of my reception into grace; what worse? For where no hope is left, is left no fear

"All hope is lost of my reception into grace; what worse? For where no hope is left, is left no fear."
-John Milton

The sun pulled me from my sleep as it climbed from the top of a mountain peak. Packing my stuff together I sighed, having an uneasy feeling wash over me.

I set off down the mountain, my toes pushing in the top of my boots. After a while of climbing down and multiple vulgar words I stopped on a large rock overlooking the flaming trees. I opened my canteen still keeping an eye on the far tress to see the smoke of a far-off house or camp.

I hiked the mountain for two more days, from dawn to dark. I found a deer trail and followed it under the golden blanket. Following the trail to a grassy meadow, which I decided to make camp in. I laid out my sleeping mat and just sat down listening.

Something wasn't right, she tugged at her internal rope and waited for a response. Minutes of listening she got a single pull in her stomach, sighing she laid down and looked up at the blue sky. It was then when the heard the leaves rustling and the birds go quiet. Immediately, her hand shot to her necklace around her neck, the cool feel of gold greeted her. Viviane and I both wore the same necklace where we were always connected, that the other will always protect the other.

She finally smelled them, the smell of ashes and copper. She immediately jumped up into a fighting stance, daggers already in hand.

"Hello, little snow angle," Eris pronounced as he came from behind a large oak tree.

"Eris, glad to see the nose is straight again," I smiled keeping an eye on all of the other trees knowing his brothers were also here. He growled and one of his larger brothers lunged from a tree, I threw one of my daggers and it hit his shoulder. "Nice try you big brute," I seethed "What do you want Eris, payback?" My eyes like ice as they turn to look at him, I felt a double tug at my gut and I sent one back. A new thing which I just figured out, this being can sense my feelings.

"Revenge could be what I want Lesley, but I always like the saying 'go big or go home,'" He smirked.

He then attacked, flames swarming my feet burning through my boots and pants. I pushed ice to smother the flames and protect my skin from any more burns. I pulled my shield around myself and Eris sensed it and a crocked smile slithered its way in his face. "Scared snow angle?" he smirked, and that's when I attacked. Ice daggers flying at him, I swarming at his feet in the same manner as his flames.

He blasted flames which my shield easy stop with a loud hiss. Both brothers then started pounded my shield, and ice daggers flew at them trying looking for leverage. Ice fears flames, but flames fear water, not ice.

I could feel my shield starting to dreaming and my internal rope tugging over in over in my stomach. Gritting my teeth, I push my powers into the shield begging for it to hold. I grabbed a dagger and flicked my wrist and hit Eris at the same point where his brother was hit. A groan was greeted by my ears, and I quickly lifted my shield and attacked with my sword to be stopped by flames burning at my back. Shit, it burns and I dropped to my knees, internally angry at myself for forgetting about the other stupid brothers.

I pulled at the rope a single time, a reassurance and a goodbye. I would survive another blast, my vision blurring.

I then remembered my sister, what will the do to her? I promised her that I wouldn't die. I yanked on the bond so hard and sobbed into it begging it to help me, anyone to help me.

Eris then kneeled beside me smile that terrible smile which I hate. "No more ice, little snow angle?"

As a response, I froze the saliva in his mouth which caused his face to pale and his eyes get big. He started gagging and sadly unfroze the ice, he turned to me with flames in his eyes. "I will send your cooked body to your sister, I'll watch as the holds your dead body and begs for you to wake up." he seethed, twirling a flame in his hand.

I didn't know when it happened but I felt a coolness flow down my face and hit my lips leaving the taste of salt behind. "I almost feel bad," he stuck out his bottom lip in a teasing way and the flame grew.

A whistling sound blasted through the air and a winged man, clothed in shadows  landed beside me. That was when everything went black.