Chapter 1

Ciara Ryleigh Crawford

Crawford Architecture and Real Estate (CARE)

I saw in a big and bright font as I got out of my car. Walking into my company, that I built from rubble, gives me such a rush of adrenaline. Whenever I feel the cool air hit me as I enter the building I get a sense a pride.

To be a top level, one of the most sought after, architecture engineering company is not easy. And at 27, after years and years of sheer blood, sweat and tears, it's unheard of.

"Good morning ma'am," My receptionists said.

"Morning all," I waved and went to my office which was at the tenth floor.

I always am a sucker for a good view. I have the whole Manhattan skyline from my office. I set my bag down and removed my shades.

"Tristan Building Materials' rep has came to see you, Ciara," My assistant, Hadley, said.

"Give me a minute, Hadley. I just need to sort some files," I said.

Once I was all sorted, I asked Hadley to send the rep in.

"Hello Ms. Crawford. So nice to finally meet you," A man, dressed well in a suit and tie, said.

"Hello Mr. Casey. As do I. Please have a seat. Would you like to have anything?" I asked.

"Just water please," He said and I called pantry and asked them to send up some chilled water.

"So, getting down to business. We'd like to partner with you for your east Manhattan project," He said.

"Alright. Why do you think should I pick you over my usual building material contractors?" I asked.

"We'd like to offer it at a lower price. But we want 20% of the profits from the project," He said.

"20%? A little too much, don't you think?" I asked.

"Not really ma'am. We're reducing the prices of the materials and asking for a little more than what your current contractors are being given and if you see the bigger picture, you're the one who'd be profiting overall," He said.

"I'll consider the offer if you agree on 10%," I said.

"No ma'am. That would be too low and we'd suffer loses if the project doesn't work out well," He said.

"So you don't believe that our company would actually succeed in the project?" I asked in disbelief he'd even consider that I'd even remotely let my company's project go south.

"No no. What's wrong in taking some precautions? I just want to be sure," He said.

"Sir, with all due respect, there's never a 'sure' in the business we dabble in. You go all in. Do your best and expect for the best," I said.

"So 10%?" I asked again.

"Make it 15%," He said.

"Alright. I'll get back to you in a week's time. It was such a pleasure talking to you Mr. Casey," I said.

"Likewise Ms. Crawford. Oh and by the way, congrats on all your achievements," He said.

"Thank you. I appreciate it," I said with a confident smile. He gave me a smile back before leaving the room.

A couple hours of organising later, I picked up our current project's file and asked Hadley to prepare for a meeting with our finance team. Upon entering the room, I set up the laptop and connected it to the big screen.

"Good morning all. I know this meeting is abrupt and unexpected but earlier today I had a meeting with Tristan Building Materials. They have drawn up an offer and I'd like to hear your opinions on it," I said and opened it up on my laptop for all of my members to view.