chapter fifty-five

the next day, lucas gets up at noon in his bedroom. he has no idea how he got there, he's still wearing the clothes he wore last night. beside him, there's two other sleeping bodies. he recognizes them. it's lizzie and marcus, his friends. they stayed the night because they told their parents they were going for a sleepover.

he remembers them also getting really drunk too. he checks his phone and sees he has some messages. most are from justin and the other is from his mom. he checks his mom's message first incase it's important.

mom❤️: hey lucas, how are you doing? i miss you lots!

lucas: i miss you too mom 💗

lucas: i'm doing good. just studying for when school starts

after he sends the message he realizes that's a bit of an obvious lie but he doubts that his mom would notice.

mom❤️: that's my baby. i'm proud of you.

lucas: thanks mom. are you having fun?

mom❤️: not as much fun as i would if you guys were with me 🙁

lucas: 🥺

lucas: how's dad doing?

mom❤️: he's fine, he says hi too but i told him to text you himself

mom❤️: what did jordan do for his birthday yesterday?

lucas: oh we just watched a movie together

mom❤️: what movie?

lucas: call me by your name

mom❤️: haven't you seen that already?

lucas: we wanted to see it again. it's my favorite

mom❤️: alright. tell your brothers i say hi

...

"they're good," zayn says as he texts with lucas. he's laying down on liam's thigh as his husband massages his hair. he's trying to get information. "but i'm better."

"or maybe they could be telling the truth. you have little faith in them," liam replies.

"because i know them. they're covering for each other," zayn says. "i know jordan threw a party."

"well i don't think he did," liam replies.

"wanna bet?"

"what do you wanna bet on?" liam chuckles, amused.

"hmm, if you're right then you name the baby. if i'm right then i pick the name," zayn says. "deal?"

"deal," liam says. he feels like he's going to win either ways, even if jordan did throw a party there's no way he would allow himself get caught. except if-

"i'm texting theo," zayn says. he doesn't know why he didn't think of that earlier, theo loves and respects zayn too much. there's no way he would lie to him.

zayn: hey love

theo: hi zayn ❤️❤️❤️❤️

zayn: how are you darling? i miss you so much

theo: really? i miss you more!

"he never texts me like that," liam says as he reads over their text.

"don't be jealous," zayn says. "not my fault he likes
me more."

"wait till he finds out you're just texting him to get information. that's brutal zayn," liam says. he meant it as a joke and he figured zayn would reply something snarky but he's quiet. he looks kind of upset. "zayn, c'mon it was a joke."