chapter sixty-two

3 hours earlier.

....

"it just doesn't make sense," zayn shakes his head. "after all these years, why would he contact jordan, and not you, or me."

"he could be planning something," zayaad says. "we don't know anything about him, who knows who he could be working with."

"but why now? we've all moved on," zayn replies. "i think i should talk to him."

"are you kidding? he could be dangerous, he's not the little kid we left behind anymore," zayaad says. "we agreed to put our past behind us."

"zayaad, we always knew that wasn't possible. it was bound to catch up with us sooner or later," zayn says.

"but why now, almost twenty years later? freddie pops up, who's to say who's coming next? louis? javier?"

"no, javier is not coming," zayn says.

"and if freddie can find us what's to say that he can't either?"

"i have no doubt that he can find us, but he promised not to make any contact and he's kept his promise. but that's not the point now."

"what are we going to do?" zayaad asks.

"we talk to him," zayn says. "actually, i'll talk to him because you're just going to mess things up."

"i'm offended," zayaad feigns hurt. "but fine, we'll try it your way."

"good. i'm going home to talk to jordan," zayn says. "i'll update you."

zayaad nods, deciding to trust his brother to handle this. he walks his brother out of the house and watches him enter his car, then he leaves.

zayn shuts the door at the drivers seat and brings out his phone, deciding to call jordan. it rings for a bit but jordan doesn't answer so it goes to voicemail.

zayn is about to end the call before he feels a hand grab his neck from behind and another one pointing something to his head, he realizes it's a gun.

"if you scream i'll pull the trigger," the person pulling the gun to his head says. "now, listen. you're going to do exactly what i say if you want to make it out of this alive."

zayn freezes. "please... let me go."

"give me your phone," the man says. he grabs zayn's phone before he can even say anything and hits it repeatedly till it goes off. "now drive."

...

liam, zayaad, jordan, and elias are all in shock as they listened to the voicemail that jordan played.

liam gets up on his feet, and kicks the nearest thing close to him.

"dad, what are we going to do?" jordan says, still weeping, like how he was when liam first walked into the house.

liam doesn't say anything, he paces around, shaking and nervous. he doesn't know what to do.

"dad, say something, please. tell me he's going to be fine," jordan pleads. but liam can't bring himself to say anything.

zayaad dials the police. he looks more composed than liam.

"dad, please," jordan weeps, looking for assurance or anything from his dad. "i'm scared."