chapter twenty-five

at first glance, it's hard to understand why lucas and lizzie are such good friends. sometimes they act like they can't stand each other and they've had so many fights that their whole friend group has had to reconcile them countless of times, but still they're as close as best friends.

that's because lizzie has seen a part of him that no one else has, and that side is the part of him that loves to express his femininity. lucas loves painting his nails bright colors, he likes applying lipstick and using mascara, he loves female attire and lizzie was always there to support him.

currently he's over at her house, he never applies makeup when he's at his house and that's because of his nosy brothers, especially oliver that never minds his business. she's applying makeup on him, lucas has tried and he's gotten better at applying, but he's still nowhere as good as her. lizzie wants to become a makeup artist when she's older, so she's better than most at their grade.

"this red makes your eyes pop," lizzie says when she starts to apply eyeshadow on his eyes. "you look prettier than me, i'm jealous."

"that's impossible," lucas smiles at her, and she smiles back at the compliment.

"imma tell justin you're flirting with me," she jokes.

"he's probably just gonna laugh at you," lucas says.

"we should call him right now," she says.

"when i take the makeup off," lucas replies.

"why not now?" she asks.

"you know i don't want him to see me like this," lucas says. "what if he doesn't like it?"

"that boy loves everything you do lucas," lizzie says. "i doubt he would mind if you had some colors on your face."

"i don't wanna risk it. i already said this would stay between me and you liz," lucas says.

"but it's no fun if we just stay indoors and don't show anyone our face when we look this cute," lizzie pouts. "let's do something different for once lucas, let's go out."

"no way," lucas shakes his head.

"what's the worst that could happen?"

"my brothers could find me like this and make fun of me for the rest of my life," lucas says.

"don't be dramatic, it's literally not a big deal at all. your parents are both gay and so is your brother, i'm sure they won't care if you like being girly,"

"i'm not ready for anyone to see this side of me yet," lucas says. "so please respect it."

she groans. "i don't see what the big deal is but fine."

"thank you," lucas smiles at her. "what lipstick do you think would go with the eyeshadow?"

...

"want to go to the park with me?" oliver asks his twin brother who's playing a game on their computer.

"huh, why?" noah asks."did mom send you?"

"no, i just wanna hang out with you," oliver says. "come on, get up."

"i don't feel like going out," noah says.

"you've been playing video games all day," oliver comments.

"so have you," noah retorts.

"yeah well now i wanna do something else," oliver says. "so come on."

oliver practically drags his brother away from the screen. they yell that they're going to the park for who ever is listening and start walking away from the house.