chapter fifty-nine(prompt chapters)

part 2.

lucas stays quiet in the car even after they drop off his brothers at their school. he also kind of shrinks down when they got to the school, giving liam the idea that he was avoiding being seen.

so liam, realizes that his son is in a bad mood, decides to do something to cheer him up. he saw an ad of a carnival coming to town some days ago. he wanted to take all his kids, but this is the last day and it's a school night so he decided not to bother. now that lucas isn't going to school, he can actually take him.

liam drives him there without telling him, planning to surprise him. he parks the car when he gets there, lucas hasn't been paying attention to the road so when they park he looks around and frowns when he realizes that they're not home.

"this isn't home," he says. "where are we?"

"we're at the carnival," liam says. "i figured you'd be bored at home so we might as well have some fun."

lucas entire expression changes and he smiles widely. "really? can we go see the circus?"

"why not?" liam reciprocates his smile, trying to match his excitement.

lucas raises his hands up in excitement. liam
chuckles.

"want me to lift you up?" he asks as they make their way through the crowd. lucas was having trouble keeping up due to his small statue. lucas nods, feeling embarrassed as his dad gives him a piggyback ride. but it's much better this way, now he can see everything.

"hey lucas," liam calls his attention.

"hmm?" he replies.

"want to ride the rollercoaster?" he asks. lucas shakes his head but realized that liam can't see him.

"no," he says quietly.

"why not?"

"i'm scared," he replies. he has a fear of heights, liam is trying to get him out of his comfort zone.

"c'mon it'll be fun," liam insists.

"no dad, i don't wanna," lucas says, more forceful this time. liam sighs, disappointed. he also wanted to ride it, it's been a while.

"alright, i won't force you," liam says. "hey, there's the circus."

"yay! circus!" lucas glees excitedly. "i wanna see the monkeys!"

"let's go see them then," liam says, chuckling. they pay for their tickets and spend most of their time at the circus.

after they leave, lucas looks much more brighter and happier. he's practically vibrating with how giddy he is. liam decides to take advantage of the opportunity.

"think you're up for the rollercoaster?"

lucas hesitates. "i guess i can try it."

"it'll be fun, trust me," liam says. "have i ever let you down?"

lucas nods. "i can think of a few times."

"i've never let you down intentionally lucas," liam adds, chuckling at his sons smart mouth. "trust me, you're going to like this."

"but i'm scared of falling," lucas says.

"i won't let that happen," liam says.

"promise?" lucas asks in a soft voice, his eyes displaying all the nervousness he's feeling. liam almost feels bad about how nervous he is, almost. but he wants lucas to overcome his fear of heights.

"i promise," liam assures. "come on."

he picks lucas up and heads for the roller coaster.