【59】The Dinner

When Lex had told me his mother didn't like anyone, I'd believed him, since the woman didn't strike me as someone who had a heart or basic human emotions

However, as dinner progressed, I was forced to accept that she did, in fact, like someone. She adored someone, even. The way she spoke with Evora made it blatantly clear that she couldn't love her more if she were her own daughter–which was saying a lot given the way Miriam Coleman treated her actual children.

It became abundantly clear that if she had a say in her son's life, she would kick me out of the picture and shove Evora in his arms without a second thought. The Brazilian beauty appeared to be flawless, so I could absolutely understand the reasoning.

But luckily for me, Lex was the only one in charge of his love life. Miriam Coleman could go fuck herself with a cactus because I was the one he chose. Which he made very obvious with the way he spoke about me or acted.

Lex wasn't much of a PDA person, which was understandable given his overall rigidness. He indulged whenever I was feeling amorous, but he rarely initiated tender gestures when in public. Tonight, though, he was being particularly touchy-feely, and I could only see it as his own way to affirm his affection for me. Maybe it also was to reassure me and make me feel better despite the tense atmosphere.

He would graze my arm, rest his hand on my thigh, bend to whisper things in my ear... I appreciated his efforts a lot, and it proved to be a great distraction, but it made me particularly hot. I couldn't wait for us to get back to his place.

Dinner was delicious, of course. Everything was cooked perfectly, the tastes were well-balanced, the food was beautifully plated... As expected, Miriam Coleman demanded nothing less than excellence.

Most of the talk was centered around the upcoming gala which Miriam was also attending, apparently. She'd bought a table and invited a few of her friends. Hopefully, she would be seated on the far end of the room from us, and we'd barely see her all evening. Miriam asked about the attendance, and Evora's pride radiated on her face.

"We actually had to rearrange the settings, to add about ten more tables. It's why I was suddenly having a hard time with the sitting arrangements. I think the event will raise more money than any other I've organized. We're already nearly there with the eighty tables fully booked, so between the auction and the voluntary donations, we will reach far past that."

"It's wonderful. Only you could sell so many tables for such a price."

"If there's one thing that I've learned over the years, it's that rich people love showing how rich they are exactly," Evora answered with a touch of cynicism. "People are coming all the way from New York to participate, just so they can be a part of it."

"It's quite pessimistic of you, darling. Some people, such as me, might actually want to help those charities."

"Name one charity Eva has selected," Lex intervened, not missing the opportunity to call his mother out.