【04】Halloween

As we walked toward the bar, my mood gradually worsened

As we walked toward the bar, my mood gradually worsened. I always did this. I agreed to some plans and then regretted it when the time finally came to honor my word. This time, I was particularly displeased to have to come. Since our short interaction on Monday, I had barely seen Lex or spoken to him. I hoped tonight would only be a continuation of this silence.

My biggest worry was that I'd get drunk, forget about decency, and humiliate myself in some way. Either by telling Lex how terrible I felt, or by revealing our past affair to someone. This was exactly why I'd decided to come with my car, as an extra way to make sure I would be careful with my alcohol intake. It also meant I could leave whenever I wanted, not relying on an Uber to come and pick me up.

Tamika was walking beside me, and the difference between the two of us couldn't be more obvious. In an attempt to come up with a cheap and easy costume, I was dressed up as "The Dude," from The Big Lebowski. So basically, I was wearing a beige robe over some old white T-shirt, and shorts that looked like men's trunks. I also had a pair of douchey sunglasses, the only thing I'd bought for this outfit. It was the ultimate comfy costume, and I would probably have spent my evening in a version of it, anyway. It was a perfect representation of my tired and disillusioned mentality.

Tammy, on the other hand, was looking absolutely gorgeous. She had cleverly decided to come as the very first black Barbie, as a tribute to one of the victories of African Americans – one that was soon celebrating its 40th anniversary. She was wearing a long, glittery red gown a friend of hers had sown, with a side slit that reached high on her thigh, and long sleeves with openings along them. It could have seemed vintage since it was very much in 80s fashion, but the seamstress had managed to cut it so well that it resembled modern haute couture. Tammy would use it again on more serious occasions. With that, she had a golden clutch, a heavy golden necklace, and was sporting an afro, much like the original doll. It was honestly stunning.

I had parked the car about a block away from the bar, and in the short walk we'd had, two people had asked her if she was supposed to be Jessica Rabbit. I'd corrected them, and thankfully, Tammy wasn't affected by their mistake. She would certainly educate some people tonight, all the while slaying like the queen she was.

As we arrived at the bar, I clenched my teeth, tempted to turn around and go back home to slump down on the couch and spend the evening watching some random channel. I was already wearing the outfit I'd need for that, which was quite convenient.

The low bass of the music inside was reaching us, and I guessed Tamika felt it, as a broad smile revealed her perfect teeth, stretching her dark red lips. Well, at least someone is glad to be here. She gave me an encouraging smile and made her way inside. I gathered my courage with a deep breath and followed her in.

The place was larger than I thought, but it still looked packed, especially since some of the costumes were a little voluminous, and we were allowed to come with a guest. Also, Tammy and I were late, which meant pretty much everyone was here by now. The lights were dimmed just enough to give the bar a cozy atmosphere, but still allow us to navigate and interact with ease. It was a modern interior, with some old-school touches here and there, which made it quite unique. The decorations they had set up for Halloween looked out of place, as they always did. Fake spider webs were scattered, there were skulls with candles in them, fake drops of blood on the mirrors... But nothing looked cheap or childish, which was a pleasant change.