【34】Small Yet Colossal

By the time we reached his apartment, we had barely exchanged a word

By the time we reached his apartment, we had barely exchanged a word. Flirting and fooling around all evening long had been easy. But now that we were about to get to the next level, the atmosphere had turned serious.

Ever since he'd mentioned the doubts I had, he was distant, probably in an attempt to give me the choice to change my mind. It was very considerate of him, but I wasn't backing down from this.

He was so clearly anxious, so obviously uncertain, that all I wanted was to put him out of his misery and open my heart to him. I wanted to tell him I trusted him again, that I wanted him boundlessly, that I needed him desperately.

He was the love of my life, and I didn't have a single doubt about it. I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my days without this man in each of them. He was a part of me, a piece of myself. He owned me, body and soul.

I should have been scared. I should have been terrified by the thought. I'd lost him once, and I could lose him again. He was so important that it would be like losing a limb. I'd feel the loss of him until the day I died.

But after tonight, after how perfect everything had been, after the way he'd treated me, how he'd looked at me the entire date, I knew it for certain: I was the love of his life too.

We were made for each other, despite our differences, our rough start, our disagreements... Regardless of what life had in store for us, this truth would never change, and we'd forever find our way back to one another.

I was calm, almost serene, when I turned to him by the entrance of his place. I watched as he closed the door behind us. This man, this gorgeous genius of a man, had turned my world upside down, and I didn't want it any other way.

He stood there awkwardly, not sure what to say, what to do. He was so cautious, so careful around me, it was making my heart ache. I knew he was worried he'd mess things up again, that he'd do something I would hold against him and leave.

This wasn't what I wanted. I had fallen in love with the control freak genius, the confident demigod, the unapologetic businessman... I wanted that Lex back. I wanted him to be himself again around me, to not hold back everything he had within him for fear of hurting me again. I wanted Lex to be himself, to stop walking on eggshells all the time.

"Do you want some coffee?" he asked after clearing his throat, breaking the silence.

I shook my head, holding back a smile at how adorably nervous I found him. He was trying so, so hard to let me lead the pace as he'd said. If I didn't want us to have sex tonight, we wouldn't. If I wanted for us to wait a month before I fell into his bed again, we would wait.

But I was done waiting. I was done holding his past actions against him. He'd made up for them several times already. We'd hurt each other greatly, but now it was time to move on. Maybe now and then we'd slip and do something wrong, but we'd live and we'd learn. Together.