【14】The Easy Way Out

My body wouldn't obey, wouldn't head to the door as I wanted

My body wouldn't obey, wouldn't head to the door as I wanted. Lex had a woman here, with him, and I had to go before I saw her.

"I'm almost done!" the woman replied, her Slavic accent impossible to miss.

In the corner of my eye, I saw her come out. I didn't want to look, but I needed to. He had every right to see other people, and I needed to be reminded of that. That I couldn't expect or demand he never moved on.

Forcefully, I turned around. The expression that claimed my face when I saw her probably didn't leave any room for doubt. I was shocked as hell. Katya wasn't a goddess-like sexual creature. She was a middle-aged woman, about as short as I was, with a strong build, and her outfit made her function very clear.

She was here to polish Lex's floors, not his knob.

I felt like an idiot, watching her come our way with a laundry basket filled with sheets and towels.

"Hello," she greeted me when she passed us. She only then actually looked at me and stopped walking. "Oh, hello..." she repeated in a suggestive manner. Her interest turned to Lex, and she quirked a brow at him before resuming her walk.

She went down another corridor, and we waited in awkward silence while she finished whatever she was doing. I used this moment of quietness to get rid of my bag and my jacket, putting them on an armchair near me. Lex took his glasses off, folded them, and settled them on the coffee table, visibly as nervous as I was. We both watched her come back, untying her apron as she walked. She then folded it meticulously and shoved it in her bag. We didn't say anything as she slipped her coat on, moved to the door, and opened it.

"Sorry again for yesterday," she told Lex, with a helpless shrug. "I can work next Friday. My daughter will not be a problem again."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it. Thank you for coming today," Lex answered, giving her a brief nod.

She smiled in response, and her attention focused on me. "Nice to meet you, miss. Have a good weekend, Mr. Alexander."

She closed the door behind her, the room suddenly too silent for my nerves to bear. Lex's gaze and mine met again, and none of us spoke, the thick tension lingering in the surrounding air. He is wondering what I'm doing here. Shit, I am wondering the same thing... I could see he was trying to find a way to ask what the fuck was I doing in his apartment, on a Saturday afternoon, unannounced.

"I... I just had lunch with Michelle and... Lucy." His confusion was instantaneous, and I could almost have found his shocked expression amusing, had I not been so troubled myself. "Your sister says hi."

"What did you talk about?" he cautiously asked, already seeming to know the answer. I didn't even respond, giving him a look that clearly told him what our conversation had been about. He clenched his jaw, his eyes squinting at me, clearly displeased with the turn of events. "Whatever they told you, it wasn't their place to do it. I don't know why you're here, but nothing has ch—"