chapter fifty-eight

It's storming and Dean pulls up to a hotel. The two brothers get out in the downpour and Dean gets their bags. Sam walks to Evie's door and opens it. He unbuckles her before zipping her jacket up and putting the hood on her head.

"I don't want doggy to get wet." Evie says.

"Uh... okay, um. Here." Sam takes the dog from her and puts it under her jacket. "There, he won't get wet now."

Sam picks her up, hiding her face in his shoulder. He shuts the door and the brothers hurry inside.

"Whew. Nice digs for once." Dean says and they go to the front desk where the worker, Chad, is. They request a room and watch as he taps away on the keyboard for a little bit. Evie is still being held by Sam and her head is resting against his.

"Busy night." Dean remarks.

"Any port in a storm, I guess. If you could just fill this out, please." Chad says, handing Dean a clipboard.

"Yeah." Dean nods.

"Sir, I think... shaving nick there." Chad hands Dean a tissue. Dean puts his hand to his neck, pulling it away to find blood. "Your key." He hands the said object to him.

"Oh. Thanks. Hey, you wouldn't happen to have a coffee shop, would you?" Dean asks.

"Buffet. All you can eat. Best pie in the tri-state area." Chad informs.

"You don't say?" Dean smiles.

~ ~ ~

Sam and Evie are sitting at the table. Sam is on his phone while Evie stuffs her face with food. Dean walks over with a piece of pie.

"Sam, unpucker, man. Eat something." Dean tells his brother.

"We should hit the road, Dean." Sam says.

"In this storm? I-It's--" Sam cuts his brother off.

"It's Biblical. Exactly. I-it's friggin' Noah's Ark out there, and we're eating pie."

"How many hours of sleep did you get this week? What? Three, four? Bobby's got his feeler's out, okay? We have talked with every hoodoo man and root woman in 12 states." Dean states.

"Yeah, well, I'm not giving up." Sam says.

"Nobody's giving up. Especially me. We're gonna find a way to beat the devil, okay? Soon. I can feel it. And we will find Cas, we'll find Adam. But you are no good to me burnt out." Dean says.

"Yeah. Yeah, okay." Sam sighs, putting his phone up.

"Come on, we've actually got the night off for once. Let's try to enjoy it." Dean says.

~ ~ ~

They reach their room and Sam is holding Evie. They stop at their door, Dean looking to the couple that's going to get in the room next to them. The couple is making out and Dean points them out to Sam and smiles.

"What are you, 12?" Sam asks.

"I'm young at heart." Dean says, unlocking their room. They walk in. "Wow. Look at this. We're like Rockefellers. Chocolates!" Dean gets the chocolate off his pillow. He points to Sam's. "You want yours?"