chapter fifteen

Sam walks into John's hospital room.

"Here. Give them my insurance." John tells him and Sam takes the card.

"Elroy McGillicutty?" Sam asks, smiling.

"And his two loving sons. So, what else did the doctor say about Dean?" John asks.

"Nothing. Look, the doctors won't do anything, then we'll have to, that's all. I don't know, I'll find some hoodoo priest and lay some mojo on him." Sam says.

"We'll look for someone." John assures.

"Yeah." Sam sighs.

"But Sam, I don't know if we're gonna find anyone." John says.

"Why not? I found that faith healer before." Sam says.

"All right, that was one in a million." John says.

"So what? Do we just sit here with our thumbs up our ass?" Sam asks.

"No, I said we'd look. All right? I'll check under every stone." John tells him. "Where's the Colt?"

"Your son is dying and you're worried about the Colt?" Sam asks.

"We're hunting this demon, and maybe it's hunting us, too. It has your kid. That gun may be our only card." John says.

"It's in the trunk. They dragged the car to a yard off of I-83." Sam informs.

"All right. You've gotta clean out the trunk before some junk man sees what's inside." John says.

"I already called Bobby. He's like an hour out, he's gonna tow the Impala back to his place." Sam says.

"All right. You go meet up with Bobby. You get that Colt, and you bring it back to me. And you watch out for hospital security."

"I think I've got it covered." Sam stops to leave when John stops him.

"Hey. Here. I made a list of things I need, have Bobby pick them up for me." John says, handing Sam a piece of paper.

"Acacia? Oil of Abramelin? What's this stuff for?" Sam asks.

"Protection." John states.

"Hey, dad? You know, the demon-- he said he had plans for me and children like me. And he wanted to see if Evie was like it. Do you have any idea what he meant by that?" Sam asks.

"No, I don't." John shakes his head and Sam leaves.

+++

Sam walks into John's hospital room with a duffel bag and walks over to the window.

"You're quiet." John says. Sam turns to him, angry, hurling the bag onto the bed.

"Did you think I wouldn't find out?" Sam asks.

"What are you talking about?" John asks.

"That stuff from Bobby, you don't use it to ward off a demon, you use it to summon one. You're planning on bringing the demon here, aren't you? Having some stupid macho showdown?!" Sam yells.