chapter seven

They're at the hospital and Sam is talking to the receptionist. The brothers went on a hunt and Dean accidentally got electrocuted resulting in Sam bringing him to the hospital with the two kids who were taken. Evie had been in the car while they fought the monster and freaked out when Sam brought Dean out, her father's panic not helping her.

"Sir, I'm sorry to ask. There doesn't seem to be any insurance on file." The receptionist says.

"Right. Uh, okay." Sam says, removing a card from his wallet and handing it to the receptionist with his free hand.

"Okay, Mr. Burkovitz." The receptionist says and Sam sees two cops walk over.

"Look, we can finish this up later." One cop says.

"No, no, it's okay. We were just taking a shortcut through the neighborhood. And, um, the windows were rolled down, we heard some screaming when we drove past the house, and we stopped. Ran in." Sam lies.

"And you found the kids in the basement?" The cop asks.

"Yeah." Sam nods.

"Well, thank God you did." The cop says and Sam sees a doctor walking towards them.

"Excuse me." He tells the cops.

"Sure. Thanks for your help." One of them says.

"Hey, doc." Sam meets the doctor halfway. "Is he..."

"He's resting." The doctor informs.

"And?" The doctor glances at Evie and Sam immediately knows it's bad news. Sam puts her down on a chair that's close, but not too close. He walks back to the doctor and stands so Evie is still in his line of sight.

"The electrocution triggered a heart attack. Pretty massive, I'm afraid. His heart... it's damaged." The doctor tells him.

"How damaged?" Sam asks.

"We've done all we can. We can try and keep him comfortable at this point. But, I'd give him a couple weeks, at most, maybe a month." The doctor says.

"No, no. There's, there's... gotta be something you can do, some kind of treatment." Sam says.

"We can't work miracles. I really am sorry." The doctor apologizes. Sam picks Evie back up and leaves.

~ ~ ~

Sam walks into Dean's hospital room, holding his daughter, to see his older brother pale with dark circles under his eyes and watching TV.

"have you ever actually watched daytime TV? It's terrible." Dean states.

"I talked to your doctor." Sam says.

"That fabric softener teddy bear. Oh, I'm gonna hunt that little bitch down." Dean says.

"Dean." Sam sighs. Said man turns the TV off, finally looking at his brother.

"Yeah. All right, well, looks like you're gonna leave town without me." Dean states.

"What are you talking about? I'm not gonna leave you here." Sam says.