chapter twenty-one

They're in a town in Oregon where Sam had a vision that Dean killed a guy. They just asked a guy where they might find the person in Sam's vision and are now walking along the sidewalk.

"Hey." Sam calls as they walk up to a pole and Sam points at the word CROATOAN carved into the wood.

"Croatoan?" Dean asks.

"Yeah." Sam nods and Dean looks at him blankly. "Roanoke? Lost colony? Ring a bell? Dean, did you pay any attention in history class?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Shouts heard 'round the world, how bills becomes laws..." Dean trails off.

"That's not school, that's Schoolhouse Rock." Sam says.

"Whatever." Dean rolls his eyes.

"Roanoke was one of the first English colonies in America, late 1500s?"

"Oh yeah, yeah, I do remember that. The only thing they left behind was a single word carved in a tree. Croatoan."

"Yeah. And I mean, there were theories-- Indian raid, disease, but nobody knows what really happened. They were all just gone. I mean, wiped out overnight."

"You don't think that's what's going on here, I mean..."

"Whatever I saw in my head, it sure wasn't good. But what do you think could do that?"

"Well, I mean like I said, all of your weirdo visions are always tied to the Yellow-Eyed Demon somehow, so..."

"We should get help. Bobby, uh, Ellen maybe?"

"Yeah, that's a good idea." Dean pulls out his cell before frowning at it. "I don't have a signal." Dean puts his phone up and Sam takes his out.

"I don't either." Sam says, putting his phone back.

Dean walks up to a payphone only to hear the beeping that means it's out of service. He clicks the receiver a few times, but nothing happens.

"Line's dead." Dean hangs the phone up. "I'll tell you one thing. If I was gonna massacre a town, that'd be my first step."

+++

They get to the hospital after Sam and Dean talked to the Tanner's only to find the father and son attacking the wife and the guy from Sam's vision-- the brother-- not there. Dean shot the dad while Sam hesitated on killing the teenager letting him get away.

Sam leads the wife, Beverly, inside the hospital, holding Evie in his other arm.

"Hello? Hello?" Sam calls. "We need a doctor here!"

A young nurse walks out, concerned at Sam's calls.

"Mrs. Tanner, what happened?" The nurse, Pam, asks.

"She's been attacked." Sam answers.

"Doctor Lee?" Pam calls and Dr. Lee rushes in.

"Bring her in." She tells Sam and he does so, Dr. Lee letting them go first, being stopped when Dean walks in carrying a dead Mr. Tanner over his shoulders, a blanket over him.