chapter eighteen

They get to the roadhouse and it's nighttime. Sam is holding Evie and they pass two guys cleaning weapons. Evie hugs her dad closer, not used to any other guys aside from her family. Dean almost bumps into Jo and they smile at each other.

"Just can't stay away, huh?" Jo asks.

"Yeah, looks like. How you doin', Jo?" Dean asks. Before she can answer, Sam walks up.

"Where's Ash?" Sam asks as Evie waves at Jo, smiling.

"In his back room." Jo says, smiling back at Evie.

"Great." Sam rushes past her.

"And I'm fine." jo says.

"Sorry, he's, we're... kind of on a bit of a timetable." Dean says before following his brother.

Sam approaches Ash's door and knocks on it with his good hand, holding Evie with his bad hand, and he has his back against the wall next to the door.

"Ash? Hey, Ash?" Sam calls, consistently knocking. Dean walks up and knocks as well.

"Hey, Dr. Badass?" Dean calls since that's what the sign on Ash's door says.

The door unlocks and opens a bit to reveal a naked Ash. Dean immediately averts his eyes, putting his hand on the back of Evie's head, pushing her face into Sam's shoulder. Sam realizes that Ash is naked, also instantly looking away, glad Dean blocked his child's sight.

"Sam? Dean? Sam and Dean? And the little chickadee." Ash says.

"Hey, Ash. Um, we need your help." Sam says.

"Well, hell then. Guess I need my pants." Ash says, shutting the door. Sam and Dean leave, Dean letting go of Evie's head.

~ ~ ~

Ash and Sam are sitting at a table that Dean is standing by. Ash is on his laptop and Sam has Evie on his lap.

"Well, I got a match." Ash says, looking at the sketched logo from Sam's vision. "It's the logo from the Blue Ridge bus lines in Guthrie, Oklahoma."

"Okay. Do me a favor. Check Guthrie for any demonic signs or omens or anything like that." Sam says.

"You think the demon's there?" Ash asks.

"Yeah, maybe." Sam nods.

"Why would you think that?" Ash asks.

"Just check it, all right?" Dean tells him. Ash gives him a look, but does so.

"No, sir, nothing. No demon." Ash states.

"All right, try something else for me. Search Guthrie for a house fire. It would be 1982, fire's origin would be a baby's nursery, night of the kid's 6 month birthday." Sam tells him.

Ash looks at him, startled, and Dean looks around to see if anybody heard.

"okay, now that is just weird, man. Why the hell would I be looking for that?" Ash asks. Sam pulls out a beer bottle, putting it next to the laptop.