chapter nineteen

"Los Angeles, California." Dean states, getting out of the car after pulling up to the roadhouse.

"What's in L.A.?" Sam asks, getting Evie out of her car seat.

"Young girl's been kidnapped by an evil cult." Dean says.

"Yeah? Got a name?" Sam asks.

"Katie Holmes." Dean answers.

"That's funny. And for you, so bitchy." Sam says. They hear glass breaking and shouting from inside.

"Of course, on the the hand-- catfight." Dean states.

They walk inside to see Ellen and Jo shouting at each other.

"I am your mother, I don't have to be reasonable!"

"You can't keep me here!"

"Oh, don't you bet on that, sweetie."

"What are you going to do, are you going to chain me up in the basement?"

"You know what, you've had worse ideas than that recently. Hey, you don't wanna stay, don't stay. Go back to school."

"I didn't belong there! I was a freak with a knife collection."

"Yeah, and getting yourself killed on some dusty back road, that's where you belong?!" Ellen turns to see the Winchesters. "Guys, bad time."

"Yes, ma'am." Sam nods.

"Yeah, we rarely drink before 10 anyway." Dean says.

"Wait. I wanna know what they think about this." Jo says. A family of four-- both children around Evie's age-- walk in, wearing bright yellow t-shirts reading "Nebraska is for Lovers" on them.

"I don't care what they think!" Ellen shouts.

"Are you guys open?" The dad asks.

"No!" Jo yells.
"Yes!" Ellen yells at the same time.

"We'll just... check out the Arby's down the road." The dad says and they leave. The phone rings and Jo glares at it before glaring at Ellen who goes to answer it.

"Harvelle's. Yeah, Preacher." Ellen says into the phone.

"3 weeks ago a young girl disappears from a Philadelphia apartment." Jo says, shoving a file folder towards Dean. "Take it, it won't bite."

"No, but your mom might." Dean nervously chuckles. Jo doesn't give up and Dean reluctantly takes it.

"And this girl wasn't the first. Over the past 80 years, six women have vanished. All from the same building, all young blondes. Only happens every decade or two so cops never eyeball the pattern. So we're either dealing with one very old serial killer, or--"

"Who put this together? Ash?" Dean asks, cutting her off.

"I did it myself." Jo states. Dean hums, impressed.

"I gotta admit. We hit the road for a lot less." Sam says.

"Good. You like the case so much, you take it." Ellen says.