chapter fifty-one

It's nighttime and Dean got Evie to go to sleep while Sam wasn't yelling down in the panic room. Sam has only been in the panic room for about a day and Evie is getting moody, wanting to be with her dad. Dean explained to her that Sam was sick and couldn't be near them so he could get better, but she still wants Sam.

Sam is currently screaming while Bobby and Dean are in the living room and Bobby pours them some whiskey.

"How long is this gonna go on?" Dean asks.

"Here, let me look it up in my demon detox manual. Oh, wait. No one ever wrote one. No telling how long it'll take. Hell, or if Sam will even live through it." Bobby says. Bobby's phone rings and Dean hears footsteps and turns to see Evie walk in with her dog.

"Deanie?" She calls.

"C'mere, shortcake." Dean mumbles, sitting down on the opposite side of Bobby's desk. She walks over to him and he puts her on his lap.

"Is daddy okay?" Evie asks.

"Daddy will be fine." Dean tells her. He covers her ear, placing her other ear against his chest.

"Suck dirt and die, Rufus. You call me again, I'll kill you." Bobby hangs up.

"What's up with Rufus?" Dean asks.

"He knows." Bobby states. His phone rings and he picks it up. "I'm busy, you son of a bitch. This better be important."

~ ~ ~

"The news. The news ain't good." Bobby tells Dean.

"This is what Rufus called about? 'Key West sees ten species go extinct'." Dean says. He's standing up and holding Evie who is half asleep.

"Yep. Plus Alaska. 15 man fishing crew all stricken blind, cause unknown. New York, teacher goes postal, locks the door, kills exactly 66 kids. All this in a single day. I looked them up. There's no doubt about it. They're all seals. Breaking. Fast." Bobby says.

"How many are left?" Dean asks.

"Who knows? Can't be many. Where the hell are your angel pals?" Bobby asks.

"You tell me." Dean mutters.

"I'm just wondering."

"What?"

"The apocalypse being nigh and all... is now really the right time to be having this little domestic drama of ours?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't like this any more than you do, but Sam can kill demons. He's got a shot at stopping armageddon." Bobby says.

"So what? Sacrifice Sam's life, his soul, for the greater good? Is that what you're saying? Times are bad, let's use Sam as a nuclear warhead?"

"Look, I know you hate me for suggesting it. I hate me for suggesting it. I love that boy like a son. All I'm saying is maybe he's here right now instead of on the battlefield because we love him too much."

+++

Sam has already hallucinated Alastair and his younger self. He's sitting on the bed, trying to not go completely insane, even though he's pretty sure he's already halfway there.