chapter twenty-six

Sam pulls up in front of his mom's house, Jessica in the passenger seat, and Evie in the back in her car seat. They see Dean sitting on the front porch with a beer.

Sam gets out and goes to the trunk to unload their stuff. Jess gets out and then gets Evie out, the toddler holding onto her stuffed dog.

"Excited to see grandma?" Jess asks Evie who excitedly nods. When Jess stands up, she's immediately embraced in a tight hug by Dean.

"Jessica." Dean sighs happily.

"You're, uh... good to see you too, Dean." Jess says and Dean laughs. "Can't breathe, okay." Dean lets go and Jess catches her breath.

"Hey, shorty, how you doing?" Dean asks, picking Evie up and hugging her.

"Okay." Evie says. Dean puts her back down as Sam walks over.

"Sammy."

"Hey." Sam greets.

"Look at you. You're with Jessica, you got Evie. It's-- I don't believe it." Dean laughs.

"yeah." Sam mutters.

"Where'd you guys come from?" Dean asks.

"We just flew in from California."

"California! Stanford. Huh? Law school, I bet."

"I see you started off mom's birthday with a bang, as usual." Sam says, motioning to the beer bottle.

"Wait. Mom's birthday, that-that's today?"

"Yeah. Yeah, Dean. That's today. That's why we're here. Don't tell me you forgot."

xxx

All the Winchester adults walk inside Mary's house and Jess is greeted with a toddler running up to her legs.

"Sorry, she's still hyper from that cake earlier." The babysitter, Nicole, says, walking into the foyer.

"Oh, it's okay." Jess assures, picking her daughter. "You did only have one piece?" Evie thinks before holding up 2 fingers. "You had two? Mommy said only one."

"Miss Emma is really, really nice and it gandma's birthday. I had a piece for her. They said you said it wa' okay." Evie says.

"Oh, I've been outed. I guess I felt a little nice since it's a holiday. But no more." Jess says and Evie nods. "At least for tonight." She whispers, not letting Sam hear.

"Well, I had a lovely birthday. Thank you. Goodnight." Mary tells them.

"Goodnight." Jess and Dean's girlfriend, Carmen, tell her.

"Night." The boys say.

"Goodnight, my little angel." Mary tells Evie.

"Night, gandma." Evie tells her. Mary kisses her on the cheek before making her way upstairs.

"Thanks for watching her, Nicole." Jess tells her, handing her money.