chapter fifty-seven

They get to a diner in Sioux Falls and are walking in while Sam just tried to call Bobby again.

"Is he still not home? How far could he get in that chair?" Dean asks.

"So, what do we do?" Sam asks as they walk inside.

"Well... guess we just do it ourselves." Dean says.

"Okay, Evie, uh..." Sam trails off, thinking of what to do.

"Sit down and order some breakfast." Dean states, putting her in a chair at the counter.

"But I don't like ordering." Evie pouts.

"You're 6 years old, can't you order for yourself?" Dean asks.

"No." Evie answers. Sam stands next to Evie's chair. He gets the attention of a waitress.

"Hi. Can we get some waffles with strawberries and a chocolate milk for her, please?" Sam asks.

"Of course." The waitress smiles.

"Thanks." Sam tells her as she walks away. He looks at Evie. "At least tell the woman thank you, okay?"

"Okay." Evie mumbles. Sam kisses her temple, him and Dean walking away.

"You sure you're not babying her too much?" Dean asks.

"She's 6, Dean. How is ordering for her babying her?" Sam asks.

"I don't know. Delayed independence, maybe." Dean shrugs.

"You're right. I'll make her order for herself, I'll leave it to her to remind herself to brush her teeth, teach her some hunting things, send her on a hunt."

"Okay, I get it, you're not babying her. Chill out." Dean says.

"Act like you're giving tough love all you want, but we both know next time you're with her and telling the waitress your order, you're gonna let Evie whisper what she wants to you and you'll order for her." Sam says. Dean shrugs, knowing it's true.

After a little bit-- and getting caught by the sheriff-- Sam and Dean walk over to Evie who is halfway through her waffles.

"You ready, shortcake?" Dean asks.

"No." Evie says.

"Okay, well. I have a question. Why aren't you shy with us?" Dean asks.

"Because I know you." Evie says.

"Fair enough." Dean shrugs.

"Don't practice anymore tough love, okay, Dean?" Sam says, sitting next to Evie and accepting a strawberry she holds out to him.

"Okay, I'll leave you gentle natured humans alone." Dean says, ordering a coffee.

+++

They get to Bobby's house and follow him into the living room.

"You know how many times we called? Where have you been?" Dean asks.