chapter seventeen

Dean is driving and Sam sits in the passenger seat with Evie in the back in her car seat. They're back in the Impala after Dean finally fixed it.

"Come on, Sam, I'm begging you. This is stupid." Dean says.

"Why?" Sam asks.

"Going to visit mom's grave? She doesn't even have a graze-- there was no body left after the fire." Dean says.

"She has a headstone." Sam says.

"Yeah, put up by her uncle, a man we've never even met. So you wanna go pay your respects to a slab of granite put up by a stranger? Come on."

"Dean, that's not the point."

"Well then, enlighten me, Sam."

"It's not about a body or a casket. It's about her memory, okay? And after dad, it just... just feels like the right thing to do."

"It's irrational is what it is."

"Look, man. No one asked you to come."

"We did it for my mommy." Evie speaks up. She doesn't remember the whole day, but she remembers a lot of people wearing black and saying sorry to her and Sam. After that day, Sam had taken her to the cemetery a few times before they left and they just sat and talked to the headstone for a little bit.

"Why don't we swing by the roadhouse instead?" Dean asks, changing the subject, not wanting the conversation about death and memory to involve the 2 year old. "I mean, we haven't heard anything on the demon lately. We should be hunting that son of a bitch down."

"That's a good idea, you should. Just drop me off, I'll hitch a ride, and I'll meet you there tomorrow."

"Right. Stuck... stuck with those people, making awkward small talk until you show up. No, thanks."

~ ~ ~

Dean is holding Evie while they're at the graveyard and Sam is at Mary's headstone.

"Is daddy sad?" Evie asks. Dean glances over at Sam.

"Yeah, shortcake, he's sad. You know how you lost your mommy?" Dean asks and Evie nods. "Do you remember how sad you were?"

"Yeah." Evie nods.

"Exactly. Your daddy is very sad about losing his mommy." Dean tells her.

"When did he lose her?" Evie asks.

"When he was younger than you. He doesn't remember our mommy very well." Dean tells her.

"I wanna go to daddy." Evie tells him. Dean lets Evie down and she walks over to Sam. Dean watches her until Sam knows she's there.

Sam stumbles a bit, feeling a weight hit his back. He looks over his shoulder to see Evie practically lying on his back, her arms around his sides as far as they can go.

"What you doing?" Sam asks. He gets out of Evie's attempted backhug and sits down, pulling Evie onto his lap.

"Uncle Deanie said you sad about your mommy. You were there when I was sad about my mommy." Evie says. Sam smiles softly, fighting more tears. He kisses her on the head, wrapping his arms around her.