chapter three

Sam walks up to the counter in the diner that Dean is sitting at. He's holding Evie, coming back from changing her diaper.

"Can I get you anything else?" The waitress asks Dean, obviously attracted to him.

"Just the check, please." Sam says, sitting down, and putting Evie on his lap.

"Okay." The waitress, Wendy, says, walking away. Dean drops his head before looking at his brother.

"You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." Dean says, pointing to Wendy. "That's fun." Sam looks at him and he gives the younger one a newspaper. "Here, take a look at this. I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water -- nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever." Dean says.

"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam says.

"Something you want to say to me?"

"The trail for dad. It's getting colder every day."

"Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know. Something. Anything." Sam says.

"You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find dad as much as you do?"

"Yeah, I know you do, it's just--"

"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies and popping out kids. We will find dad, but until then, we're gonna ki--" Dean stops, looking at Evie who is watching him talk while eating her fruit. "K-I-L-L everything bad between here and there. Okay?"

Sam rolls his eyes while Dean gets distracted by Wendy walking by.

"All right, Lake Manitoc." Sam says before realizing his brother isn't paying attention. "Hey!" Dean looks at his brother, humming. "How far?"

+++

They're at the police station after talking to the victim's brother and Sam is holding Evie while they talk to the sheriff.

"Now, I'm sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?" Jake asks.

"You sure it's accidental? Will Carlton saw something grab his sister." Sam says.

"Like what?" Jake asks, leading them into his office. He motions to the two chairs in front of his desk. "Here, sit, please. There are no indigenous carnivores in that lake."

Sam and Dean sit down, Sam putting Evie on his lap while she occupies herself with her dog.

"There's nothing even big enough to pull down a person, unless it was the Loch Ness Monster." Jake says.