chapter five

They're at an outdoor cafe. Dean is sitting down with Evie on his lap while Sam is at a payphone. He hangs up, starting to walk over to the table.

"Your, uh, half-caf, double vanilla latte is gettin' cold over here, Francis." Dean says.

"Bite me." Sam glares, sitting next to his brother.

"So, anything?" Dean asks.

"I had 'em check the FBI's missing persons data bank. No John Doe's fitting dad's description. I even ran his plates for traffic violations." Sam says.

"Sam, I'm tellin' ya, I don't think dad wants to be found." Dean says. "Check this out." Dean turns the laptop towards Sam. "It's a news item out of Planes Courier. Ankeny, Iowa. It's only about a hundred miles from here."

""The mutilated body was found near the victim's car, parked on 9 Mile Road."" Sam reads.

"Keep reading." Dean says.

""Authorities are unable to provide a realistic description of the killer. The sole eyewitness, whose name has been withheld, is quoted as saying the attacker was invisible."" Sam reads.

"Could be something interesting." Dean shrugs.

"Or it could be nothing at all. One freaked out witness who didn't see anything? Doesn't mean it's the Invisible Man." Sam says.

"But what if it is? Dad would check it out." Dean says.

+++

Dean is driving to the fraternity house where the victim lived.

"Okay, I'm gonna tell you now, Evie's gotta stay in the car." Dean says.

"What?" Sam asks.

"Well, we can't exactly take her into a fraternity house." Dean says.

"I am not leaving my 2 year old in the car. Es-Especially in front of a fraternity house." Sam says. "Are you nuts?!"

"Sammy, I don't think fraternities really accept babies." Dean says.

"Well, any decent human doesn't accept leaving a baby in a car." Sam argues. "She's coming with us."

"Fine." Dean sighs.

Dean parks in front of the fraternity house and gets out. Sam gets out, unbuckling Evie and picking her up.

"One more time, why are we here?" Sam quietly asks.

"Victim lived here." Dean mumbles. "Nice wheels." He calls to the guys fixing up a car. "We're your fraternity brothers. From Ohio. We're new in town. Transfers. Looking for a place to stay."

"What's with the kid?" One of the guys ask.

"Babysitting." Sam lies. "She'll be picked up by mom later."

The guys tell them where they can stay and they go upstairs and go into a bedroom where a guy is wearing shorts, painting his upper half purple. Dean knocks on the open door.