15 - Gasoline

A sigh floats out of my mouth when I see Jordan's empty desk. The container of soup is dropped to the top of his desk. My mood dampens even more. I just assumed that Jordan would be at the station so late at night. I didn't bother to call or anything. His shift doesn't end until six in the morning, so Jordan must have went out for a drive or had a call. 

        "Dakota?" 

        I look up to see Mr. Stilinski standing in front of his office door. "Sheriff." I look down at my cousin's desk. "I, uh, I just wanted to drop off some food for Jordan and...talk."

        Mr. Stilinski nods his head, smiling. "He just went out for a drive with Haigh. They should be back soon." 

        I sink down in the desk chair. Jordan is the only person I haven't been avoiding the past twenty four hours. Being told that you're actually worth three million makes you just want to think and steer clear of everyone. Scott has tried to talk to me, explain why he lied, but I haven't been listening. I don't want to hear it. 

        Thirty million. 

        That's five million more than Scott. I'm suprised assassins haven't tried to kill me more yet. I'm worth the most. Why am I worth the most? It doesn't make any sense. What's so special about a lynx? Am I the only one of my kind or something?

        "Hurry up." A rushed, feminine voice says from the front of the room. Lydia Martin is closely being followed by Stiles as they rush inside of Mr. Stilinski's office. The door is shut behind them without a single glance my way. They must have not seen me. 

        With the police station being so quiet, their voices are easily able to be heard through the walls. Only a few other officers are in the station, all in seperate areas of the building. No one else is in my area. I watch the three of them through the windows. 

        "Your grandmother, Lorraine Martin, faked her death?" Mr. Stilinski asks the two of them.        

       "Definitely."

        "Maybe." Lydia corrects Stiles.

       "More than likely, yes." Stiles restates.

        Mr. Stilinski crosses his arms over his chest, looking directly at his son. "Oh, I'm guessing you got a story to back this up?"

        "She might be helping the Benefactor." 

         My mouth falls open at the statement. What? Why did my parents ever think that this town was a good place to live? This town is a mental asylum for the supernatural and I'm stuck in the middle of it.

        "Or is the Benefactor."

        Mr. Stilinski sighs. "That sounds like a story worth hearing." He reaches to shut the door when he sees another deputy enter the room I'm in. 

        I snap my head away from the sheriff's office. The deputy furrows his eyebrows at me, most likely wondering why a random girl is sitting at Jordan's desk. I wonder if this is Deputy Haigh. I crane my head to the left to see what his name plate says on his uniform. 'Deputy Haigh' is printed on the name tag. 

        Where's Jordan?

        "Anyone seen Parrish?" Mr. Stilinski pops his head out of his office. "Haigh?"

        Haigh lifts his head up away from the laptop he has been typing on. "Haven't seen him." 

        Mr. Stilinski nods and ducks back in his office. I narrow my eyes at the other deputy. His heart raced when he said that. He's lying. Why would he be lying? Haigh's head darts back down to his laptop screen.