3 - School

"Remember when I was five and I broke my finger because I stuck it in this plastic toy for my dolls? I didn't want to tell you guys about my finger being stuck, so I tried to get it out by myself. I ended up breaking it and my loud cries are what made you find out what I had down." I gaze down at my forefinger on my right hand, rubbing the area of where it had broken. There's a tiny, pink scar left on the side from that day. "I had always thought that, that was the worst pain I would ever feel, but I was also young, but yesterday was by far the worst." 

        The wind blows throughout the empty graveyard, my hair gently flying over my shoulders. A week and a half have passed since my parent's death. Their funeral was yesterday. I'm lucky enough to have Jordan as a cousin because he had set all of it up. I readjust the bouqet of daises I brought for them today. They were always mom's favorite and dad liked the smell of them. I place them closer against the grey tombstone with mom's name on it. 

        "Life is all about moving forward." I rest my hands in my lap, ankles crossed, while stretched out across the vibrant green grass, back against part of my dad's tombstone. "I won't disappoint you guys. You always said that you can always keeping going, no matter how hard the battle is. This is hard, harder than anything I have ever had to go through before, but I know you wouldn't want me to live a sad  life, always wondering why I lived and you didn't."

     Next to my leg, resting on top of the grass, my cell phone lights up from a new text from Jordan. I slide my finger across the screen, unlocking it.    

        You are officially enrolled at Beacon Hills High School as a junior. Your first day is tomorrow if you are ready.

        I turn the screen off. 

        "I start school tomorrow. Jordan goes back to work at the police station." I glance back down at my phone, a sigh leaving my parted lips. "He's taken the past week and a half off to help me with everything. I don't know who the sheriff is, but they are a good person for letting Jordan take these many days off. He's, also, been staying at the house with me. He would move in, but he still has about eight months left on his year lease for his apartment."

        I pick up a strand of grass up from the ground. "Mom, you remember how Grandpa James has always kept to himself and likes it that way? Well, he sent me a letter- he didn't even bother to call- he said that since I am eighteen, I am my own responsbility and he had told me that you guys had everything you owned would go to me in your will, so Grandpa James said that as long as I was in school, he would pay for all of the bills- which is amazing because I was terrified of how I was going to do that in our house." 

        "The car was totalled, so I don't get that, but he is going to pay the house off and he put it under his name. Grandpa James originally planned to put it under my name, but I don't want a house- not yet anyways. This is his way of saying I'm sorry for everything, but don't come intruding my house for a place to live." 

        My phone lights up with a new text from Jordan. Pizza, chinese, or should one of us try to cook?

       "I'm really glad I have Jordan to help go through all of this." I pick my phone up to reply to the text. I change my mind at the last minute and shove the phone in my leather jacket. I push myself up from the ground, brushing off any dirt or grass on the back of my denim jeans. "I really do miss you. I will be okay, though. You taught me well enough to get through something like this. It's gonna suck, but I'm going to be okay." 

        I cross my arms over my chest. "Do you remember Melissa? I don't remember her last name- it starts with an M. Anyways, she came to the funeral. She said that if I ever need anything- or even a homecooked meal- she'd love to help out. She said she was good friends with you, Mom. She's a nurse at the hospital, so I'm assuming that's how you know each other."