19- Alone

Laughter bubbles out of my mouth as I feel Liam's arms tighten around me, his focus fully on the video game on the screen. His thumbs flying a mile a minute on the xbox controller. On the tv screen, Liam and Mason's characters are trying to kill each other in some fight.

Liam's arms tighten even more around me. I had been on his bed watching them play from up there, but then during one of their breaks, I had climbed down on the floor and sat in between Liam's legs. I tilt my head up, smiling up the blue eyed boy behind me. His eyes are squinted in concentration as he plays the game.

"Come on, Liam." I cheer him on.

Liam takes a second to glance down at me, smiling. He pecks my cheek before going back to the game.

Mason shakes his head at the two of us, still keeping his eyes on the screen. "I'm still confused on how you got a junior to like you." He admits.

I giggle, resting the back of my head on Liam's chest. "Awh. Don't be jealous, Mason."

Mason looks in our direction. "I'm not jealous."

"I can try to hook you up with someone, if you want." I offer.

"That's- Ahh!" Mason freaks out when his character gets hit. Both boys spaz out, thumbs pressing buttons to keep their character alive. "No, no!"

Liam's laughter fills the room along with Mason's shouting. I hold my hands to my mouth, giggling. The game ends when Mason's character is thrown to the ground in defeat.

Mason throws his hands out. "When did you get so good? You been practicing? Or did you just suddenly get superhuman reflexes?"

Liam tenses up behind me. "Uh...Practicing. Yeah, I've been practicing." He drops the controller down on the ground.

I reach for his hand, intertwining our fingers together.

Mason notices the two of us and sets his controller down on the pillow between us. "And I should be studying."

I look up at the clock on Liam's shelf. I groan, seeing it's almost ten thirty. "I should probably get home as well. Jordan has tonight off and was going to crash with me." I climb to my feet with the help of Mason, but Liam's hands linger on my waist, like he doesn't want me to leave.

"Where are you going?" Liam peers up at Mason.

"Home? I got a history test tomorrow."

I walk over to Liam's bed, scooping up my phone and house keys. Jordan told me to just shoot him a text when I was ready to get picked up. I start to write him a text when I hear Liam.

"Come on. One more game." Liam says.

Mason heads for the door. "Yeah, you said that four games ago."

"Study here. You can stay over. Come on, one more game. Just one."

I stop in mid text when I hear the desperation in Liam's voice. I glance between him and Mason. Why would he not want Mason to leave? I slide my phone back in my pocket.

"You okay?" Mason stops in the doorway.

Liam must have realized that he sounded desperate because he shakes his head. "Yeah, you're right. You should go. I should probably study, too." Liam shakes his head, sadly. "See you at school."

Mason looks over at me before walking out of the room. I shuffle towards Liam when he climbs to his feet, looking like a kicked puppy. He looks back at me and holds his arm out towards the door. "I guess you're leaving next."