10 - Okay

"Don't get mad at me, okay?" My fingers thread together, back resting up against my dad's tombstone. The cool wind blows through my air, gently. "I skipped school, but only because Scott and Liam aren't answering my texts and I need someone to talk to. I'm sure you know all about how Scott saved me from dying that day- he bit me." I exhale, resting the back of my head against the stone. "Now, my whole life has flipped upside down."

        The wind blows again and part of me wonders if that's there way of communicating with me. Skipping school is healthy every once in a while. I was going to go to school, but I felt more drawn to the cementary. It's been over a week since I was here last. I always try to visit them once a week.    

        "Did you see me turn into a lynx? I mean, I didn't fully transform into the actual animal, but my skin was patterned like one. My ears were kind of pointy, teeth crazy sharp." I shake my head at the memory of last night. "Scott had said werewolves, that's what I thought I was going to be, turning into a freaking cat was not something I was prepared for. Am I the next Catwoman or something?"

        I tilt my head down towards my mom's tombstone. "Dad, cover your ears for a second. I'm about to talk about a boy." A giggle slips out of my lips at the mere thought of Liam. I don't know what it is about him, but he just gets to me. "You might have been able to figure this out already, but I'm crushing pretty hard on Liam. I didn't plan on it happening, but I guess from those kisses to how happy he makes me feel, I just started to fall for him. I think he likes me, but I don't know."

        I wrap my arms around my knees that are pulled up to my chest. Why are boys complicated? I open my mouth to keep talking, but the faint ring of my phone cuts me off. I shut my mouth, digging for my cell phone in my pocket. The ringtone becomes louder once it's out of the confines of my pocket. I hold the phone up to my ear about to say hello when I hear Garrett's voice. Garrett? Scott's name was on the screen. I recheck the screen. Nope. It's Scott. 

        "Where is he?" Scott demands, rather urgently.

        "Come on. Like I'm actually going to tell you that?" 

        I begin to push myself up from the ground. Please, please tell me they are not talking about Liam. Why else would Scott call me to have me listen in on a conversation? Garrett doesn't sound like he's in the same room as Scott. No, it kind of sounds like it's a three way call. He must not know I'm listening in. 

        "I'll give you the money."

        "Yeah, you will." Garrett replies. "But, that's not going to get you Liam back. You're going to have to put  in a little more effort than that."

        I cover my mouth with my hand to hide my gasp. Garrett has Liam. Oh, no, no, no. This cannot be happening. 

        "What do you want?" Scott breathes. 

        "I want the money and Violet or you never see Liam again." 

        My heart beats erratically. I spin around in a full circle, worried to know where my best friend is. What could Garrett have possibly done to him? The way Garrett is talking makes it sound like Liam is still alive. That gives me some hope. Except he is probably hurt. 

        "Meet me out by the buses in two minutes." Garrett says before hanging up. 

        Scott waits a few seconds, like he is making sure that Garrett really did hang up. "Dakota, did you hear all of that?"

        I lower my hand, breathing heavily, almost on the verge of tears. "Yeah, yeah. I heard it. Scott, he has Liam!"

        "I know and it looks like I won't be able to search for him. I need you to do that." Scott rushes to say.