8 - Scrimmage

"Hey, there's Dakota." 

        The mention of my name has me snapping my head in the direction of Liam and Mason. The two of them are over by the player's bench, Liam in his lacrosse gear. I focus back on the field where the rivarly team is getting ready for the scrimmage. I listen closely, still trying to get a hang of the whole super hearing thing.        

        "So, are you two dating or something? Because if so, how did you get a junior to like you?" Mason asks his best friend. 

        My cheeks warm at the mere thought of Liam and I dating. He is really cute, but are we couple material? 

        "No, no, we're not dating." Liam replies, some kind of edge to his voice. 

        "You like her, don't you?" 

        "I-"

        Something pats my back, forcing me back to everything around me and no longer eavesdropping. "Dakota, hey! Just the person I was looking for."

        I sigh in slight annoyance. "What, Stiles?" 

        Stiles, clad in his lacrosse gear, crosses his arms over his chest. "Look, we're going to need you close, you know, if Liam gets too out of control." 

        "Yeah, I know." I glance back over to where he is standing. I march over towards Liam and Mason, leaving Stiles behind. I smile at the two boys, earning an even broader grin from Liam as I approach them. "Hey, guys."

        Mason smirks then sends a mischievous look to his best friend. "Oh, hey, Dakota."

        I nudge Liam in his side. "Are you okay?"

        Liam peers down at me, the small height difference there is between us. "I'm okay."

        I smile until I see Brett changing his shirt. The smile wipes off of my face as I cross my arms over my chest. "I don't like that guy."

        Liam scowls at the lacrosse player. "He's not going to mess with you." His facials features hardens the more he watches. "I don't care if he's a foot taller than me. I think I can take him."

        "Yeah." Mason agrees, eyes locked on Brett. 

        "He's not worth it, Liam." I shake my head. Besides, he doesn't need to be getting into any fights, especially not now. I really don't want him to lose control, yet if he does, I'll get to kiss him again and- No! Liam and I are just friends. I should not be thinking about him like this. We simply kissed each other to get the other to calm down while in transformation. That's it. 

        "What do you think you're doing?" Liam asks, noticing his friend has not stopped staring at Brett. 

        "What?" Mason breaks from his trance. "Me? Argeeing with you. I'm being agreeable."

        Liam looks back out to the field. "You think he's hot, don't you?"

        "No! No. Not at all. No way!" Mason shakes his head in denial. He looks back to Brett, biting his lip. "Maybe. Yeah, maybe a little."

        I wrinkle my nose in distaste. "That's gross, Mason."

        "He wants to destroy me." Liam says before adding, "And he was flirting with Kota."

         Kota? Kota. Did Liam just give me a nickname? The only person to ever call me Kota was- mom. 

        "I think you could definitely take him." Mason says, smiling at his friend. "And then give him to me."