4 - Kidnapped

The hospital chair is cold against my bare arms. I curse under my breath about how stupid I was to leave my jacket in Jordan's car back at the police station. He offered to give me a ride here, but his shift wasn't over yet. Two business down and one more to go. I've been going from place to place looking to see if anyone is hiring. I finish filling out the the application for the hospital. I'm no nurse or doctor, but maybe they need someone to help, like a secretary or something. 

        The nurse that was behind the counter returns back to her chair. I bring myself to my feet, crossing the short distance between us. The clipboard with the application on it is handed back to the nurse. She smiles, warmly. 

        "Thank you." I smile back, headed for the door. I pass by a room in the ER to see Liam from school laying on a bed. His ankle is wrapped up in a white gauze. Curiosity getting the best of me, I knock lightly on his open door. "Liam?"

        Liam's head pops up, blue eyes landing on me in the doorway. "Dakota? What are you doing here?"

        I take a small step in his room. "Looking for a job." I walk closer to his bed. "What happened to your ankle?"

        A frown surfaces on Liam's face. "Lacrosse tryouts." He runs a hand through his blonde locks. "I tried to go up against two juniors."

        "Oh. I'm sorry." I stand at the foot of his bed. "Does that mean no more lacrosse?"

        Liam hangs his head, like a sad puppy. "Unfortunately. Lacrosse is my life, and now because I was so stupid, this is what I get." Liam angrily points to his bandaged ankle. "What am I supposed to do with a broken ankle?" 

        "I-" 

        A scream cuts me off from somewhere in the hospital. My brow furrows, hands loosen around the foot of his bed. I slowly take a step back, head cranked towards the opened door. Liam's gaze switches from the door to me. Another scream echoes throughout the hallways. I creep towards the door, peeking my head out in the hallway. 

        "Wait." Liam swings his legs off of the bed and hops over to me. "Don't go anywhere without me." 

        I wrap my arm around Liam's back as he brings his arm over my shoulders, allowing me to support some of his weight. "What was that?"

        Liam walks out in the hall with my help. "Hey!" He calls out for anyone to hear. "Anyone hear that? We thought we heard someone-"

        I look down the other side of the hallway to see a boy around my age with blood coating the front of his shirt and mouth. "Liam!" I urge him to back up. He sucks in a breath when he sees the other boy. 

        The boy covered in red blood, bares his teeth at us that resembles fangs more than anything. I scream at the top of my lungs. Too fast for either of us, the boy wraps an arm around either of our necks. We spin and are forced to lean against the bloody boy. My arm slides against his bloody shirt, coating the back of my arm. 

        "Let us go!" Liam wiggles around in the boy's grasp. 

        I dig my nails in the arm wrapped around my shoulders. "Hey!" 

        The boy drags the two of us backwards, our feet sliding across the floor. Liam rams his elbow into the boy's chest, but nothing works. This kid doesn't seem affected by our jabs and punches. I slide my hand along the wall, hoping to grab on to something that will help me fight back. The guys growls in our ears. 

        I worriedly glance at Liam, fearing for our lives. We are dragged into the stairwell and forced to climb up the stairs backwards. "Let us go!" I scream, louder this time. Where are all of the doctors and nurses? How are they not hearing us?