14 - Thirty

Teary eyed and sniffling, Melissa McCall steps inside of the morgue, wiping the tears off of her face. I feel bad for her, even though I know that Scott is really dead, like everyone outside of this room believes he is. The doctor proclaimed Scott to be dead about thirty minutes ago. Melissa made this huge scene because she had to play the part of a devastated mother, who just found out her son is dead. 

        All of us wait patiently and quietly for Melissa to reach the metal table that her 'dead' son is on. Liam glances down at me for a split second, our eyes locking onto each other's. We both look away at the same time. 

        Melissa gazes down at her son, who is covered with a thin, blue sheet. "I still hate this plan. I mean, this is pretty significantly terrifyingly. He looks dead." She rubs her head. 

        My heart goes out to her. We know that Scott isn't really dead, but it's hard to believe when he is laying here in a morgue. His chest isn't even moving up and down. If I didn't know any better, I would think that Scott was dead. 

        Mrs. Yukimura must have felt the same because she says, "Give me your hand."

        Melissa just stares at Mrs. Yukimura's hand and glances at Stiles. Scott has told Liam and I that he has known Stiles for years. I guess Stiles is, like, another son to her.

        Stiles rubs her on the back, comfortingly. "It's okay."

        As if that was enough motivation, Melissa places her hand in Mrs. Yukimura's. Mrs. Yukimura lowers their hands on Scott's chest. 

        "Wait for it." Mrs. Yukimura says, quietly.

        A few seconds pass before Melissa breaks out in a relieved smile. "Is that enough to keep a werewolf alive?"

        "Enough for an Alpha."

        Melissa takes a deep breath. "How much time do we have?"

        Mrs. Yukimura glances at the clock on the far wall. "Forty five minutes."

        "What happens after that?"

        "I bring him back the same way." Kira says. 

        "No, I mean what happens if he stays like this longer than forty five minutes?"

        Everyone in the room freezes. No one moves, except for eye glances at one another to see who is willing to speak first. There is no way that I am going to tell her what could happen. I don't even like the idea of having to be a part of this whole thing. I avoid eye contact with her, knowing that she'll be able to guess it if she sees my face. 

        "No one's told her?" Mrs. Yukimura guesses from our silence. 

        "What?" Melissa demands, desperately seeking eye contact from any of us. "What happens after forty five minutes?"

        "He dies." 

        Three floors higher, the four of us face the three laptops from earlier today with black screens, just waiting to be turned on once we get the okay to do so. Chris Argent went up to the roof to work his magic on the wires connected to the cameras in the hospital.

        When my parents were still alive, we'd have a movie night every Sunday. We'd always watch two movies on those nights, meaning only two of us were able to pick one of those movies. Mom loved the romantic comdies. Dad's favorite were the action comedies, but he secretly loved the romantic comedies, too. I was always drawn to the sci-fi and action movies. I would talk their ears off about how I would love to be in one of those movies, be the one saving the day.