22- Monster

Isolated myself in the corner of the van, I press my face between my knees, concentrating on my heavy breathing. My heart is hammering inside of my chest, feeling as if it could just burst out of my body. The full moon started to take affect almost immediately after the sun went down. This car ride has consisted of Liam and I trying to not loose control.

Derek ended up giving us some triskelon medal that is supposed to make the full moon easier, but it's doing nothing for me. I had noticed Stiles' look of disbelief when Liam was looking the medal over. That's when I knew they were both full of shit. Maybe it might help Liam, but it won't help me.

I growl under my breath, feeling the animal side of me kicking in even more. I clench my fists, claws digging into the palms of my hands. I don't know how close we are to the temple, but if we don't get there soon, I'm going to lose it.

"Liam, you with me?" Derek says from a few inches away. "We have a mantra that we use. You repeat it, you focus on the words. It's like meditating. You say the words until you feel control coming back to you."

"Okay. Okay, okay!" Liam gasps as we drive through a pothole. "What are the words?"

I squeeze my shuts, listening very carefully to Liam's voice. Even with him sounding like he's in pain, the sound of him talking is enough to calm me down for just a little bit. I breathe in through my nose and exhale through my mouth, repeatedly.

"Okay, look at the trskelion. See the symbol? I have a tattoo on my back, it's the same thing. Each spiral means something." Derek starts talking again.

"Alpha, Beta, Omega." Stiles says.

"It represents the idea that we can always rise to one and fall back to another. Betas can become Alphas."

"Alphas can become Betas."

"Can Alphas become Omegas?" Liam asks.

"All you have to do is say the three words and with each one, you tell yourself you're getting calmer, more in control. Go ahead."

"Alpha, Beta-" Liam rushes to say.

"Slower."

Liam takes a deep breath. "Alpha...Beta..Omega." He grunts, still affected by the moon. "Alpha...Beta...Omega."

"Good. Say it again. Remember, every time you say the words, you're getting calmer."

Liam starts to repeat the saying.

I feel a hand on my leg. I lift my head up just enough to see Stiles sitting beside me now.

"Dakota, let's hear you say it as well." Stiles nods at me, encouragingly.

I give him the meanest glare I can muster as I say, "Go to hell."

Stiles awkwardly pats my leg. "Alright then. I'm just going to blame this attitude on the fulll moon." He slides away from me when he hears Liam's voice changing and sounding kind of evil. "Derek, I don't think the powerful talisman of self control is working."

Liam jumps up from his seat, growling. The whole van rocks from the force. I shut my eyes. The animal side of me is very close to breaking free. I grip the side of my head, lowly growling. Stiles quickly jumps away from me.

"Liam, say it again!"

The van fills with our growling and yelling. I yank at the handcuffs that are holding me down to the seat. I yell out, the affecting me almost as badly as it did the first time.

"Derek? I think we're gonna need to go a little faster." Stiles shouts above all of the noise.

"Keep going!"