17 - Dagger

The wet towel slips out of my left hand and tumbles to the oatmeal colored carpet. My damp hair wets the back of my black shirt. Not even twenty minutes ago, Scott and Liam had dropped me off after the whole almost burning to death in the school thing went down. I just wanted to get home and shower off this gasoline. 

        A small smile slips on my lips, remembering how I told Liam to kiss me. I don't know what we are exactly now, but I'm ninety nine percent sure we are dating. Neither of us have to have panic attacks to make us kiss each other. 

        I plop down on my bed, shutting my eyes. A yawn escapes out of my mouth and I suddenly feel very tempted to just fall asleep with my lights on. Slowly, I feel myself begin to drift away into a dreamless sleep. 

        The bottom stair creaks from downstairs. My eyes sleepily pop open, beginning to wake back up. This house is not that old, but I have experienced the bottom step of the staircase creak every time I place my foot on it. That's the only one that creaks. No matter where you step, the stair will creak. I slowly and quietly push myself up to a sitting position. 

        I strain my ears to hear downstairs. Maybe Jordan came by to check on me or decided to crash here for the night. A heartbeat quietly beats from downstairs. I walk towards my bedroom door, expecting to see Jordan climbing up the stairs. All the lights are still off downstairs. The hairs on the back of my neck stands up as I creep towards the railing of the stairs. 

        "Jordan?" I whisper, nearly inaudibly. 

        A shadow catches my eye along the wall near the top of the staircase. I fly my hand up over the light switch, shutting my bedroom light off. Jordan's not here. If he was, he would have said something by now. Someone's in my house. I take a few steps backwards when I see a tall figure slowly inch it's way towards my bedroom. They haven't spotted me yet. 

        There's nothing in my room to protect myself with. My back hits the wall next to the window in my room. My hands fly to the locks on my window, sliding them in the opposite direction. The shadow slides forward on the wood floors outside of my bedroom. I'm running out of time. Do not freak out. Now, is the time to remain calm and not draw attention to myself. 

        Fingers gripping the bottom of the window, I careful push it up, praying that it doesn't make any noise. If Scott was here, he'd be thinking of something rational. He wouldn't let himself freak out. I need to channel my inner Scott. The window is halfway up when the figure stands fully in my doorway. 

        From head to toe, he's dressed in all black, completed with a hood over his face. A shiny dagger is held in his left hand. A sick, sadistic smile is on his face when he tilts his head up a little to spot me in front of my window.

        "Going somewhere, little lynx?" 

        I keep pushing the window up. "Who are you?"

        His voice is deep and raspy, like he's smoked a few too many cigars. He takes a step forward. The moonlight shining around me shines on the man. The hood is covering the important parts of his face, but an inch long scar is etched out on his chin. Too distracted by his scar, I barely find enough time to duck down when he throws a smaller dagger at my head. The dagger clatters to the floor in front of me after hitting the window. 

        I snatch the dagger up, not sure how I plan on defending myself with this. I've never used one before. I jump up to my feet to find the man even closer than before. Now, he has two large daggers in his hands.

        "You're worth a lot of money, you know?" The man muses, casually twirling the daggers in his hands. 

        "So, you're an assassin?" I awkwardly hold the dagger in my hand. I don't what to do. In movies, the victim always asks a lot of questions. There's always a fifty fifty chance that the stalling will work.