Torn

©JRF2016

"Should I haul ass before your dad gets back?" Shane whispered as he squeezed Isabella tighter. "I don't want to leave but I don't want to piss Merle off either."

"Posso gestire Papá," she smiled up at him. There was a soft twinkle in his eyes as he smiled back. One that almost made her forget about his escapade with Andrea. Almost made her forget that he was head over heels in love with Rick's wife. Almost. "I have no idea what you said but I'm sold." He laughed. Isabella turned to face him, placing her hands on his cheeks. "I can handle Papá," she kissed him, "I don't want you to leave either." She couldn't fight the feelings she was having for Shane despite his less than discreet shenanigans. He smiled that cocky smile of his that she hated and loved at the same time. "So, how do you say 'you're beautiful' in Italian?"

"Sei bellissima." Isabella chuckled as he repeated her words. "Was it that bad?" She shook her head, "No, it was actually pretty good. Just adorable with that southern accent of yours."

"How do you say 'I love you'?"

"Ti amo."

"I knew it. I knew you loved me." Shane grinned as she swatted his chest. "Bella Rose," Papá said stunned as he approached, "Please tell me I didn't just hear what I think I heard?" Isabella jumped to her feet and spun around to look her Papá in the eyes, "No, you didn't hear what you think you heard. He was asking me how to say some things in Italian. Just teaching him a new language, some culture." Merle looked at his daughter in disbelief, "Non puoi mentire a papà, piccola. In ogni caso quella é la stessa tecnica che ho usato su tua madre." {You can not lie to dad, baby. In any case that is the same technique I used on your mother.}"

"Quindi eri anche uno stronzo sicuro di sé, eh?" {So you were an over confident asshole too, huh?}. Isabella giggled as she watched her Papá's reaction. "Ha ha, very funny Bella Rose."

"Actually, Papá, it is very funny!" She said laughing while Shane and Daryl looked on confused. They had no idea what was so funny. Merle just let out a frustrated growl and walked away. Daryl followed. "You gonna let me in on the joke?" Shane asked pulling her into his chest and spinning her back around to face him. Isabella just shook her head and smiled back at him.

*************

"What'd she say to ya Merle?" Daryl asked his older brother, "I know whatever it was got you steamin'." Merle just waved his brother off. He didn't want to talk about it. She's right Shane is just like he was and that's what makes it worse. Still Cat loved him. He can see that same love in Bella's eyes when she looks at Shane. Her mother changed him maybe Bella will have the same effect on Shane that her mother had on himself. He missed that woman so damn much. If he could have her back he'd love her like she deserved to be loved. That was why he lost her in the first place. He loved her more than anything in this world but he couldn't break away from the hold that his drugs had on him. Now that there are no drugs he can think about everything he did wrong. Realizing once again why he hated sobriety. With the drugs he never had to know, he was never reminded what a complete screw up he was. What a complete screw up his life was. Daryl was standing there staring at him when Merle looked up from his boots. He looked his baby brother in the eyes and started to speak but stopped himself. He turned and walked away from his little brother, like he always did, once again.

Daryl started after him this time when a hand landed on his shoulder. He turned to meet Andrea's smile. "What the hell are ya smilin' like that for?" He growled at her which made her smile even bigger. "I was thinking about recreating our last night alone together. I haven't been able to get that moment out of my brain." She swayed her body closer to his and kissed his neck. "You turn me on, Daryl Dixon." She took his hand and led him inside his tent.

*************

Shane and I walked up to the campfire hand in hand to join the rest of our group for dinner. I smiled when I noticed the anger and jealousy in Lori's face but when I glanced over at Rick he had the same look and my smile faded as my head fell. "What's wrong, Izzy?" Shane whispered as he let go of my hand and slid his arm around my waist pulling me closer. I remained silent. What could I say? No way I could actually tell him about that kiss with Rick, mainly because I still secretly longed for another. We sat down across from Lori and Rick as Daryl and Andrea walked up. Daryl looked embarrassed and Andrea had a huge smile plastered on her face. Daryl sat next to me as Andrea took her place between Rick and Shane. I nudged my uncle and whispered, "So what have you been up to today?" I smiled not expecting an answer because I already knew the answer. "So where's my Papá?" I asked Daryl out loud this time. He shrugged and then looked up at me. "I think he was upset. Just took off. I ain't seen 'im all day."

"Oh really? What was he upset about, was it me?" I knew he didn't like the idea of me being with Shane. Did he take off because of that? "Was it because of our conversation earlier?" Daryl shrugged his shoulders again.

"He didn't say anything, but Merle never did. Merle does whatever Merle wants to do and he don't answer to nobody." I nodded in agreement. That was Papá alright, he didn't need permission from anybody to do anything he just did whatever he felt like at the time. Maybe he just needed some time alone, some time to think.

I stood up from my dinner plate, stretching. I looked around at everyone's tired faces before taking myself to bed. I stood in front of my tent just staring at it when I heard footsteps come up behind me. I didn't turn around thinking that it was Uncle Daryl when I heard his raspy voice speak. "So you and Shane are together now?" I whipped around and stared at him. Rick was the last person I was expecting to be standing here with me right now. I shrugged, "He is single and you're married with a kid," I paused looking deep into his soul now, "Oh, and not mention another on the way."

"You're right," he said pulling away from my stare, "It's just that, I don't know, me and Lori have been having problems for a while before all this and I haven't kissed her like that in so long." He paused as he ran his fingers through his hair, "She was with Shane before I got back, I don't even know who's baby she's carrying." He squatted in front of me with his head in his hands. I dropped to my knees in front of him and wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders. "Truth of the matter, I enjoyed our kiss more than I should have too." He looked into my eyes again and kissed me.

I awoke this morning thinking about Rick. I grabbed my blanket and stepped outside. The nights were getting colder as winter was approaching. I looked down toward the farmhouse and everyone was moving stuff inside. When I got down there the first person I ran into was Rick. "What's going on?" He looked back at me wrapped up in my blanket still and chuckled, "It's getting colder, as you know, and Hershel has decided to move us all inside. You might want to get in there and pick out a spot, they are filling up quick." I nodded and walked back to get my stuff. Uncle Daryl was there when I got back packing his stuff. I looked around at all Papá's stuff still lying there. "Where's Papá?" I asked looking back up to my uncle. He stopped what he was doing and looked at me. "Dunno," he said scratching his head, "Thought he was sleepin' in there with you last night?" I shook my head. "I haven't seen him since yesterday."