Blessing

©JRF2016

I approached Carol quickly and quietly as she stood with her back to me. I put my hand over her eyes, "Guess who?" I smile as she turns around in in my arms.  "What do you think you're doing pookie?"

"You looked lonely over here by yourself," I said looking into her eyes, "Thought I'd give ya some company."  Merle walked by and swatted her butt. "Hey sugar tits," he said as he winked at her and ignored the fact that I had her in my arms right now, "You get enough of ol' Merle last night?"  She chuckled as she looked back at Merle.   "Why, do you have more for me?"   It felt like a knife blade was just plunged into my heart.  I was just starting to get close to Carol.  She was the only person that I even felt like I could get close to, the only person I really felt comfortable around.  Now my brother has swooped in and taken her from him.  Carol slipped out of my arms and started toward the door.   "See ya later, pookie."  She smiled as I watched her walk out the door.  Merle walked up to me and slapped me on the back.   "What's goin' on with you and Carol?"   I turn around to look at Merle and resist the urge to punch him in the face, but Merle notices the anger imprinted on mine.  "Oh, are ya jealous little brother?  Maybe you shoulda stepped up and made a move, quit pussyfootin' around."  He laughed, "Ya snooze, ya lose." 

"Shouldn't you be with your daughter?  Instead of gettin' a piece of ass?" 

"You shouldn't talk about her like that."  He walked away from me but stopped in the doorway for a second.  He didn't turn around but called back out, "Don't be mad baby brother.  A man's got urges he needs to satisfy sometimes.  I didn't know you felt that strongly about it."

I stood there in disbelief for a second, did my brother just stand up in defense of a woman's honor?  "Watcha doin' Mr. Dixon?"  I turned around at the sweet sound of Beth's voice.  She was standing at the table with Judith in her arms.  As I watched her with the sleeping baby I had forgotten all about Carol and my brother.  I shrugged my shoulders at her but didn't make an attempt to speak.  I felt a little guilty about being turned on right now, she's a kid.  I shouldn't be thinking about the things I was thinking about right now.  I started chewing on my thumb now nervously.  I have to get out of here.  I turned around and walked out the door as fast as I could without saying a word in response to her.       

                                                                                    *************

I left my brother and went straight to Bella's cell.  He was right, I shouldn't be worried about anything but that little girl of mine.  It was stupid of me to leave her side last night.  She even woke up and I wasn't there, I wasn't the first person she saw when she woke up.  That hot shot Deputy, Shane was there.  He was there for her and I wasn't.  Just like always, I am never there for her when she needs her Papá.  I don't care what I got to do I am going to change that starting now. 

As I walk down the corridor of the cell block I see her coming toward me with Shane right beside her.  I hear the conversation as I get closer.  "Easy now Izzy, you just woke up from a coma like state.  You can take it slow you know?" 

"He's right baby girl.  You don't have to be up runnin' around just yet."  I reach out for her and she slides into my arms.  I hold on to her as I glance over at Shane.  He gives me a nod before walking away.  "So what happened to me Papá?" 

"The Governor attacked us again," I drop my head and stare at the floor, "You don't want to hear about this right now do ya?"  She looked into my eyes and nodded.  There was that look again.  How can I say no to my little girl?  I sat down on the bed with her and told her about the Governor's last attack.  "He was coming back for me, for the men I took out that day.  I thought you were safe inside the prison until he smiled at me and fired a shot.  I thought I was a dead man until I turned around and saw you in Shane's arms.  You weren't moving, I thought I had lost you."