Shane's Heartbreak

©JRF2016

I stayed on watch on top of the RV listening to Rick tell the story about waking up out of his coma. I was so happy that my best friend was alive. Even though I knew I had lost Lori. She wasn't going to leave Rick. I looked down to see Isabella staring up at me. I felt my heart beat faster when I looked at her.

-----------------------------------------------------

Lori walked up yelling at Carl, "What did I tell you about never leaving Dale's sight."

"Shane said we could catch frogs," Carl whined.

"It doesn't matter what Shane says, it matters what I say." Carl walked off.

"You should not be taking this out on him." I argued.

"You told me my husband was dead." Lori snarled.

"He's my best friend. You think I'm not happy about that?"

In the distance I saw Isabella. My eyes darted back and forth as Lori ripped into me about Rick. Isabella looked sad but she still has a glow that could put the sun to shame. This thing with Lori was killing me. It was like one minute she wanted me to fight for her and the next she hated me for lying to her. I never meant to lie to her, I really thought Rick had died that day. Lori finally finished ripping into me and stormed off. I sat down on a rock and ran my fingers through my hair. What was I going to do?