Unconditional Love

©JRF2016

    Shane walked by Merle's cell to see Isabella sitting on his bed, alone and crying. He walked up to her but she didn't look up. "Izzy, are you okay? What happened in here?" He asked as he looked around at the wrecked cell. "Papáis upset and I don't know why," she said wiping her face on her sleeve, "He's always had a temper but he's never aimed that temper at me. I had no clue this was coming and I have no clue why." Shane took her hands and pulled her to her feet and held her close. She stayed in his arms for a minute before stepping back. "I have to find him and get him to tell me what's wrong," she started to walk out the door when Shane pulled her back. "I'll go," he said kissing her softly on the lips, "I'll find him and bring him back to you. You stay here and get some rest, you've been on watch all night."

"Naw, I got 'im," Daryl said from the doorway as he stared at his niece. Shane gave the slight 'thank you' nod and sat back down beside Isabella. Daryl grabbed his crossbow and headed out to look for his brother. "Daryl," Rick called from somewhere behind him, "Wait up. I'll help you."

"I got it Rick," Daryl said without turning around, "He's my brother, I know how to deal with him." Rick had caught up to him and put a hand on his shoulder stopping him. "I'm coming with you." Daryl gave that slight nod of his to Rick as an approval and they walked through that prison in search of Merle.

    Isabella lay back in Shane's arms on her bed. She talked about all the times he would be gone and then show back up. How happy she was to always see him walk back through the door. No matter what he did he always came back to her and her mama. She smiled so big as she talked about Merle. Shane couldn't believe that the guy actually had some good qualities, that someone could love that guy. The way her eyes danced when she talked about him it was obvious, she was her Papá's Girl and always would be.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    I stormed out of that cell away from the one person that truly loved me, unconditionally loved me. I left my baby girl sitting there in tears. No matter what I've ever done, she is the only one that has ever stuck by me, except Daryl. The more I thought about it the angrier I got at myself, I was angry before but envisioning the hurt I had left on Isabella's face my anger with myself escalated even more. She could have gotten bit earlier and I couldn't do anything to help her, that was bad enough, but then I hurt her. I couldn't save her. I don't want to give the job to Shane but as much as I hate to admit it to myself he is more capable of keeping her safe than I am anymore. That is the one thing that matters most.

She awoke to the sound of her Papá's voice. She sleepily climbed out of her bed and out of her room, down the hall. "Dannazione Merle Dixon!" {Damn it Merle Dixon!} Mama spoke Italian most whenever she was mad or if they were talking about things she was too young to know about. She knew Italian as well as she knew English but she was still young and mama left out all the adult language. Isabella peeked around the corner to see her Papá at the door and her mama standing in front of him, angry. He had been staying here this past week but he was late getting home tonight and mama was mad and she let him know it. Isabella knew it without even having to see her mama's face. Her Papá's eyes were glassy and he was staring at mama grinning that sly grin he always wore when he was trying to get lucky. "Sei alto,cercando di segnare con me,e odore di cavallo di un'altra donna" {You're high, looking to score with me, and you smell like another woman's crotch.} She paused as she stared at Papá and his grin never faltered. "Quanto stupido credi che sia?" {How stupid do you think I am?} Isabella watched her Papá. She loved him more than anything, she idolized her Papá. He could do no wrong in her eyes, she was still so little and didn't quite understand why her mama was so mad at him.