The Prison and Woodbury

©JRF2016

We were all just standing around in the glow of the firelight as Rick watched all of us. He looked as if he had something on his mind, something he was debating on telling the rest of us but he kept quiet. Until we started talking to Hershel and his girls about the CDC. Rick stared at the ground as he spoke, "There's something I think I need to tell all of you," he looked up at all of us as we stared back at him, "Jenner told me something before we left. I don't know if it's true, or if he was just crazy." He paused as Shane stood up, "That man was certifiable, Rick, we can't trust anything he said." Rick nodded, "Still, I want to tell you so you can decide," he put a hand on Shane's shoulder and Shane gave him a nod of approval, "We're all infected." We all looked around at each other in shock as Rick continued, "Whatever it is, we all carry it." The bombshell that was just dropped on us was taking a toll on everyone. Some wanted to go out on their own. They didn't trust Rick for keeping it a secret all this time. "Rick and I thought it best not to tell you," Shane defended his partner. "You knew?" I asked Shane as he nodded to me. No one said another word.

The sun was finally starting to come up above the trees and our people were beginning to stir again after a restless sleep. Rick and Daryl were getting ready to go out hunting. Shane was sitting next to me running his finger across my arm as he rested his head on my shoulder. His motion was slowing as he was falling asleep. He'd been up all night with Rick keeping watch over all of us. I jumped to my feet when Uncle Daryl walked by ready to leave and Shane hit the ground letting out a grunt. "Where are you going?" I asked. "Huntin'," he said as I grabbed my bow. "I'm comin' too."

"Izzy," Shane said standing up and dusting himself off, "You don't need to go. Daryl and Rick can handle it."

"I want to go," I said, "In case you've all forgotten my Papá's still out there somewhere."

***************************

It's been a long hard winter. We've been running in circles trying to find someplace safe with no luck. My heart was broken and I was worn. There's been no sign of Papáall winter. I was losing hope that I would ever see him again. Uncle Daryl and Rick were going out again to look for more food today. I grabbed my bag and my bow and followed after them. Shane grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him, "You don't have to always go out there. We can handle the hunting."

"I'm not going just for the huntin'," I said as I looked into his deep brown eyes, "My Papá's still out there somewhere, I know it." Shane brushed his fingers through his thick, curly hair and sighed.

"Izzy, we've been running around all winter," Shane started, "We'd have either run into him by now or seen some sign of him. He's gone, babe." I pushed him backward. "Non dirlo! Non può essere andato via!" {Don't say that! He can't be gone."}. I started to cry now. Shane pulled me into a hug as he rubbed my back, "Izzy, I don't know what you just said to me but it'll be alright. I promise."

"I didn't even get to tell him that I loved him. He probably thinks that I hate him." Daryl stepped in this time.

"I know he doesn't think that. We'll find him again, I ain't givin' up on my big brother."

"I still wanna go with you," I urged. Daryl nodded as he waved me on.

We weren't out long, walking over some railroad tracks that had grown over when we walked up on a clearing. Down below us was what looked like heaven. Heaven over run with walkers but one we could take for our own. We went back to the others and took them to the prison. We cut a hole in the fence as we walked along the outer path running around the outer edge of the prison courtyard. Rick ran for that back gate to close it off so we could take that field. We took that first part with ease and camped in that field for the night. We were sitting around the campfire when Hershel asked Beth to sing a song. "Not that one daddy," Maggie pleaded. "Okay, what about 'Partin' Glass,'" he offered as Beth started singing. Shortly after Maggie joined in as we all sat listening quietly. Rick walked up to join us after walking the fence line three times, "I know we're all tired but we gotta push just a little bit harder. This place could be a goldmine. Food, medicine, shelter," he said as he looked around at all of us landing on me last as I sat wrapped in Shane's arms. "Armory?" Daryl asked. "That'd be just outside the prison but not too far. The Warden's office should have the location. We'll push in farther in the morning."