The CDC--Part One

©JRF2016

We're heading into the middle of the city now. Atlanta looked so different now and yet at the same time it looked like nothing had changed. Walkers came into camp last night and we lost some of our people. The CDC is the closest place we could go to get Jim some help. He was bitten during the attack. The radiator hose on the RV busted again leaving us stranded. "Y'all come quick. It's Jim I don't think he's gonna make it." Jacqui said poking her head out. Rick went in to talk to Jim and came out a few minutes later. They were deciding what to do with him. "It's his choice, if he wants us to go on without him I think we should honor that wish." I said looking at Rick and then to Shane. They both nodded and carried Jim up to a shady tree and set him down as we all said our goodbyes and jumped back into our vehicles. Walking back to Daryl's truck Shane grabbed me by the arm, "Ride with me." I shook my head and looked over to Papá waiting by the truck. "I'll go ask him for ya. I just want to talk to you, get to know you a little better. We haven't had time to do that." Before I could respond he was headed over to Papá. I caught up with him and stopped him in his tracks, "Hell, he'll kill you. I'll talk to him but you'd better watch yourself." He smiled at me. "Papá, I'm gonna ride with Shane."

"Like hell you are," He yelled, "I don't trust him and I'm not letting you ride into Atlanta with him."

"Papá, we need to be friendly with these people if we're gonna be a part of this group. We need to learn more about 'em. I'll be fine, I am a Dixon ya know." I smiled and kissed him on the cheek. I started toward the jeep when Papá grabbed my arm.

"Yeah you're a Dixon and you can take care of yourself but I'm still not letting you ride anywhere with that creep." He pushed me into the truck and climbed in beside me. We drove to Atlanta in complete silence. We got there and Rick had lost it. He was convinced someone was here when there clearly wasn't. "He made a call," Shane told Daryl.

"It was the wrong damn call," Uncle Daryl yelled back. Lori tried getting Rick to leave it was getting dark and we needed to find cover. When Lori couldn't get to him Shane grabbed him and started dragging him back when the shutters opened and a bright light engulfed us. We got inside and Dr. Jenner introduced himself to us. He had food and wine he let us have which we gladly took, after he got blood samples from all of us of course. Shane kept staring at me through dinner but after eating and drinking we all hit the showers. I didn't see Shane again until I was staggering to my room. Shane walked up to me. He had scratches on his neck and he looked really sad. "What happened to you?" I asked.

He shrugged, "I don't want to talk about it. I do want to talk to you though." I looked around for Papá. I took Shane's hand and pulled him into my room quickly.

"Let me at least clean that up for you," I said looking for some rags and alcohol to clean him up with, "Then you have to leave." I cleaned him up as he talked. He told me about him and Lori. How he thought Rick had died and he was trying to save Lori and Carl. How hurt he was when Rick came back and he realized that he had lost Lori. I felt bad for him. "Okay, you're all cleaned up. Now get outta here before my Papá catches you and you have to deal with more than just a couple little scratches." I walked him to the door. He turned before opening it.

"How about a little good night kiss before I go?" He smiled and leaned down. I leaned backward but only for a second. I didn't want to kiss him but I did want to kiss him. I finally gave in and let him have his kiss. He wrapped his arms around me and deepened it leading me back to the bed. I stopped and pushed him back. "You're not getting me that easily punk." I smiled at him as I pointed to the door. He moved in for another kiss.

"Go now!" I said pushing him toward the door, "Papá's gonna be by to check on me and you can't be here."

"Say that in italian for me and I'll leave, I promise." He smiled at me causing me to smile in return. He was a very handsome man.

"Vai, ora! Papà verrà a controllarmi e non puoi rimanere qui!" He kissed me one more time.

"Now I can have sweet dreams tonight." He kept smiling at me as I shoved him out the door and closed it behind him. My heart was racing. I couldn't get that smile out of my head. The knock on my door brought me to my senses. I took a deep breath before opening the door to Papa, "Hey Papá," I said.

"Just wanted to make sure my little Bella Rose was okay and all tucked into bed," He smiled.
"I'm fine Papá," I said wrapping an arm around his neck and kissing his cheek, "Good night."

"Good night angel baby, sweet dreams."