Step Up

©JRF2016

**************************************************************************************

Okay, wow!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I think this turned out pretty much how I wanted it to come out. I had part of this written last weekend and I just didn't feel right about it. I've been racking my brain every spare second to try and get this right. When I started I wasn't so sure, I changed a couple of things and that feeling of it being right just wasn't there. Until the end and I think I got it...Let me know what you think!!

Anyway...Enjoy the next chapter!!

***************************************************************************************

         She woke up in a frenzy.  Sweat pouring off her body and shaking.  She remembered one of her very first nightmares, Papáhad been there that time.   He came into her room, checked under the bed, in the closet, and then picked her up and cuddled her in his arms. "Bella Rose, there ain't no monsters in here now. Papá ran 'em off for ya."  She had wrapped her arms around his neck so tight as she told him thank you. "You ain't gotta thank me baby girl.  That's my job.  I'm your monster runner offer." It took a while but she finally found her voice and started screaming. "Papá!"  Over and over again she screamed for him but he never showed.  She lost her mama yesterday and now she is all alone, not even her Papácould heal this immense hurt she was feeling.  She is only twelve, what is she supposed to do now?  Her mama was the only family she had and she was the only family her mama had. 

      It is starting to get light out now as the sun was beginning to show itself.  She slides out of her mama's bed and walks over to the window.  She watches for a while as the darkness fades and the light takes over.   There is a sadness inside her weighing so heavy on her heart, still she manages to walk herself downstairs to make herself some breakfast.  She had looked through the phone for hours yesterday at so many funeral homes.  The man that was coming sometime this morning to pick up her Mama's body seemed really nice and helpful over the phone.  She was hoping that he would still be just as helpful and friendly in person when he saw that it was just her here.   The story she was planning on telling the man was that her Papáwas at work so she was helping out with this, it was so hard on him, losing mama.  He's so strong usually but this is really killing him because he loved her so much. She was even planning on working up some big crocodile tears. 

      The man come in and worked swiftly but at the same time took the time to listen to her, to console her.  She was holding the door open for him as he left and then closing it behind her she leaned back against it releasing a deep sigh of relief.  He seemed to believe the story about Papábeing at work.  She couldn't be with a new family, strangers trying to pretend that they love just as much as if she had always been a part of their family.  She decided that it was better this way.  There's no way anyone could hurt her if she didn't let anyone in.  Besides Papáwas always on his own, why couldn't she do it.  She is his blood after all, she is a Dixon. 

      She was at the kitchen window fixing a sandwich for lunch when a black sedan pulls into the driveway.   A woman in a dark colored business suit gets out of the car and she walks up to the door. Isabella stands at the counter in shock.   She was only twelve but she knew what that woman was here for. "Guess he didn't believe my story after all,"  She mumbled to herself.  The woman knocked on the door but Isabella wasn't about to answer it.   If she answers that door they are going to take her somewhere else, somewhere that she didn't want to be.  The woman kept knocking and finally she spoke.  "Isabella!"  She called through the door, "I know you are in there.  You are still a minor, you can't stay here by yourself.  I know this is tough on you and I could help, we have grief counselors to help you.  Please open the door."  Isabella was going to wait it out, keep away from the windows so she couldn't look in and see her and eventually she will go away.