Loving and Fighting

©JRF2016

Dedicated to darylandshelby

Because she has been waiting so patiently for this update. :) Sorry it took so long, hope you enjoy, as well as all my other readers.

I got back to find the door standing wide open. My heart began to race and I ran inside frantically scanning across the room. "Carl!" I scream panicked. I run upstairs screaming again, "Carl!" I searched every room upstairs and then started back down when I heard a creak. I looked around the corner to see the closet door slowly slide open and I heard a coo from Judith. I instantly relaxed and ran up wrapping my arms around Carl and Judith. 

When Shane got back to the house Isabella was already asleep in the room beside Judith. He stared down at the two girls and smiled as he pulled the blanket up over them. He walked himself downstairs to see the rest of the group still milling about and reeling from the events of the evening, everyone except Rick. He wasn't back yet. He had stayed back with Daryl and that new guy, Morgan. Shane walked out onto the porch and leaned against the rail breathing in deeply and releasing a long sigh. He caught some slight movement from the corner of his eye and turned to look over on the porch next door. Eugene was standing in front of the window, not moving and staring inside. Shane walked over to him, "You just gonna stand there or are you going to turn in?" Eugene jumped and spun around to face Shane. "I, uh," he stuttered. Shane looked at him for a second, wondering why he was acting so jittery, and then he peeked around Eugene. He saw two shadows and he realized what the man was doing out here. Shane rubbed his hand across his head and remembered the last time he had encountered Eugene a couple nights ago. Shane walked up on the porch and stood right in front of Eugene. "You enjoying the show? You enjoy the show the other night too?" The two men stood there staring back at each other. No emotion what so ever on Eugene's face and the longer he stared at Shane the creepier he was getting. "I'm not a pervert, I just like the female form." He finally defended himself and Shane chuckled. "Yeah," Shane said, "What man don't? Izzy and, who's that, Rosita? They've both got one hell of female form to admire too, huh?" Eugene looked at him unsure of what to say before he slowly nodded a yes to him. Shane laughed again as he clapped Eugene on the shoulder and started back toward the other house. "I gotta get some sleep, gotta work tomorrow."

I jolted awake and saw Judith still in the bed beside me but Shane had now joined us. I felt like I had only been asleep for just a few minutes when I woke up in that panic. Sweat was rolling off my face and my heart was racing. I was dreaming about Papa again. It was always the same dream, him turning and chomping into my flesh and tearing me apart. It was still dark and Shane was on the other side of Judith snoring loudly. I slid out of the bed carefully so I didn't wake either one of them and I crept downstairs. I walked out onto the front porch and into the cool night air. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath as I leaned into the rail. "What are you doing out here?" I opened my eyes at his raspy voice and I slowly turned around to meet those baby blues that belonged to Rick Grimes. "Trouble sleeping?" He asked before I could answer. I just nodded. He noticed the sweat that still glistened on my forehead. "You have another bad dream?" I nodded again. "You want to talk about it tonight? What was it? It's clearly got you all worked up." Rick walked up closer to me and put his hand softly on my elbow as he moved in even closer. He was right on top of me now and I could feel his hot breath on my face. I shook my head no at first as I looked up from my feet back into his tender, kind eyes. In that moment as I stared into his eyes and he slid his hand around to the small of my back I couldn't hold it in any longer. I felt like I could trust Rick, like I could tell him anything and I spilled every gruesome detail of that dream. I could hardly believe that I remembered all of it but I did remember it and I remembered it in extreme detail. It was so clear as if it had just happened. Rick hugged me tighter after I had finished telling him about my dream and the tears began to roll down my cheeks. He rubbed his hand across my back and then pushed back a little to look at my face. He brought his hand around to my cheek and wiped the tear from my face. We stood there and stared into each other's eyes when Rick leaned in and lightly pressed his lips to mine. I pushed him back, "Rick," I started but he put a finger to my lips and stopped me. "I'm sorry." He said before walking back into the house.