LET THERE BE LIGHT

The next few days passed with fear and uncertainty. Everywhere I looked, there were memories to torture me. At first, I chalked it up as my way of grieving or maybe it's because my shadows abandoned me but when even she started getting worse, I had no choice but to go look for answers.

"You sure this is the place?" 

Allegra eyed the small hut just like I was doing before nodding. "According to Jonathan, this is the place." 

"He said whoever we are meeting is over the top about everything." I mockingly threw a pabble at the door. "This looks completely opposite of it."

"Hey!" She snatched the other pabbles from my hands with a disapproving gaze. "Let's not make him angry even before we have the chance to meet him."

"Fine. Have at it your way."

She threw me another glare before giving a few sharp raps on the door. Waiting for someone to receive us, I couldn't help but think about my life. Just when I thought I started a new chapter in my life, everything fell apart right before my eyes.

My oldest friend was gone.

My wife was dying.

Before my thoughts could go anymore deeper and to the more dangerous territory, the door opened, revealing a child. The child looked ten to elevenish with his height but his eyes seemed too dull to be childlike and when his gaze finally met mine, I could swear I saw the same fire in someone else's gaze.

"I-We are looking for Alister." Allegra said softly, sharing a questionable look with me.

Hearing the name, the child stiffened, his small hands curling into a fist. "Who send you here?"

"Jonathan did." I spoke up this time. "Now, where's Alister?"

The child stepped back, giving us permission to get in while muttering under his breath. At first, neither I nor Allegra gave any attention to the child's rambling. Only when the child took us to a room full of books that we noticed two more individuals. One I had never seen before and another seemed terribly familiar. 

"I know you."

He looked up from the book he was reading to grin at me. "Absolutely."

"Are you going to tell me from where?" I gritted out, much to Allegra's irritation.

"I was from Lady Maria's sireline until Alister freed me and that's Keith." He pointed at the other man who also waved at me with a frown.

Wait.

Lady Maria?

"Sin?" My, my. What a small world. "You're free?"

"Surprising, isn't it?" 

"Yeah. Where's Alister anyway?" The child coughed, breaking my gaze to look at him. Even Allegra looked at him in question.

"What are you two staring at?" 

"We were told to talk to a Alister." I gritted out, tired of waiting. I had a little time to entertain a child when the whole Coven was worried about us. Time never seemed this dangerous. Or poisonous.

The child blinked in surprise. "Exactly. I'm Alister and I'm asking you, what do you seek? Or did you two came here to waste my time? In that case, show yourself out."

This time, it was me who couldn't hide my shock. Jonathan warned us of Alister's tricks but this? This was beyond my imagination. Even Jonathan was reluctant to meet this child himself. And he freed a vampire from a sireline? Just how?