CHAPTER 21 [EDITED]

5132

Sandy once said the devil comes at night.

She wasn't entirely wrong.

The place Chiara dragged me to had none other than filled with the worshippers of him. With a club named Wild Nights, everyone was depraved for something, even me. Dressed in a black halter dress that was probably my sister's, I couldn't wait to get this show on the road.

"Why are we here again?" I asked, twirling a lock of mine. Goth wasn't exactly my normal go-to look but with the extra piercings and heavy makeup, I was nailing it. Besides me, Chiara was also in a black dress but it was more modest and at the same time screamed attention. I never understood how she managed to mix them both.

"They hold auctions every Sunday. Usually, for things that are illegal to process. Kiam thinks we'll get our book here."

I snorted. "He thinks?"

Her eyes brightened in amusement. "He knows. Before starting to work for me, he was a regular here. He's seen things, trust me."

I couldn't but it didn't hurt to pretend a little.

"Welcome everyone!" I heard a man in a suit holler. He looked dashingly handsome if it was even a thing. Unfortunately, that also meant he was from a species that I currently hated a little. Vampires.

"Today's auction is all about how you feel to get the thing you desire. We have lots of dark objects here today. Some of them are collected from walking through hell and heaven. Some of them are stolen-" He winked, getting screams of approval. "And some of them are for sacrifices meant for greatness. Let's start!"

The curtains were raised, revealing a beautiful artifact. It's not the book but I still wanted to admire it. The bidding also started and holy hell, they were all bathing in money by the way each zero was added without thinking.

"If you didn't notice before, I'm kinda broke." I let Chiara know. "How are we going to bid?"

"Let me worry about that." Fine by me.

I waited, watching people literally bleed their souls to get the objects they wanted. I never understood the need before but now I knew. Why those sisters would do anything to get a word from the devil. Why Sandy would take my blood to hide from the Volkios and their reaching.

Right at that moment, my phone rang.

I didn't pick up, didn't found any meaning to.

But when it kept ringing two more times, I finally took pity on it. "It's three am in the morning. Shouldn't you be busy cursing someone or something? Why are you annoying me?"

I heard a grunt of disappointment. "Hilarious. Seriously, where are you?"

"You know it," I whispered. He always knew where I was, didn't he? "I'm not coming back."

"Like hell you aren't. I don't have enough patience, Lana. Where the fuck are you?" My whole body shivered at his tone. I blamed it on the excitement around me.

"Wild Nights." I cut the call before he could say anything else. Because I knew exactly what I would see if I turned. True to my thoughts, I found him lingering just barely a few feet away from me, his eyes glaring a hole in mine.

Chiara must have noticed where my attention was cause even she turned, raising an eyebrow at the new addition. "Who is that?"

"Problem." I deduced, walking to him before he could. As soon as I was near him, he took my wrist, breathing in my scent.

"Fuck, Lana! Do you have a death wish or something?"

"Must be." I agreed, letting him take me in for once. Sooner or later I had to pull away. Always. "What are you doing here?"