CHAPTER 22 [EDITED]

VERMON

PRESENT

It took two hours for the blood test to be back.

Positive, Byron's blood.

Somehow I wasn't going to just stop with the diary. Yes, they gave me plenty of information. But I needed more. I needed Valentine to pay for what he did. You see, vampire blood was tricky. It was even trickier to make someone believe that the blood didn't just look utterly different than the humans.

"It matches with the warning written on the wall." The Chief told us of what I already knew. "He was involved."

"I already tracked Byron's number. He's alive, was busy doing an auction and he used to talk to someone called a master. That's Mr. Valentine."

Chief looked at me then, there was no reason for him to not believe me but still, there was some doubt. "I understand where you are coming from but Byron called a burner phone. The location we found is nowhere near where Valentine lives. Just because he called someone a master doesn't mean it's Valentine."

If only he knew how the vampire Volkios worked then we wouldn't have this argument at all.

"I get it." I started with a grimace. "But what about the fact that he said the DNA matched the body found in that street? I've had another test done and the results say otherwise."

"That's a little-"

"That's a big red flag. He wanted the case to be closed, Chief. You can't tell me that's not suspicious."

I almost had him, almost...until I saw Valentine walking like he just had his empire crumble into dust. I didn't know how Zedkiel felt about seeing him here but I was surprised. His long hair wasn't tied like usual and if we weren't in front of the humans, I'd make a jab about how guilt made people do wonders.

"You called me?"

"Mr. Valentine." Chief acknowledged him with a nod. "Yes. We need your assistance in something."

He was sweating. Jesus. "What is it?"

"Byron's been accused of mass murder, Mr. Valentine. We have enough proof to bring him with us." Chief said that with a straight face. Hell, even I'd be sweating like the way he was staring at Valentine.

Valentine wasn't fazed though. He looked at me and then scoffed. "Based on whose words?"

"Based on a blood test I asked for." I insisted, watching his eyes harden. Doing the blood test went against every Volkios's rules and I might be getting punished for it later but I wasn't stopping. Not when we were this close to getting him kicked.

"What else?" He demanded, eyes on me but the question was for the Chief. He didn't even glance at Zedkiel.

Chief raised an eyebrow as if he was insulted. "A diary of a girl who came to your sanatorium. Byron tortured her and the others. We have several entries proving that date by date. For God's sake, Valentine! They didn't even get a real doctor or nurse or any help. Byron is not a certificated psychiatrist. If anything, their condition has worsened. One girl actually died! We'll be looking into that later." There we go.

There's no place for him to hide now.

As if to prove my thoughts, he titled his head toward the nearest room. "Detective, can we talk?"

"Absolutely not." Chief started to talk but I raised my hands, indicating my interest in his explanation.

"Let's go."

As soon as we were inside the room, we didn't have to pretend anymore. I saw the attack from miles away but I was still unable to stop him when he grabbed my neck, pushing me into the wall.