CHAPTER 14 [EDITED]

VERMON

By morning, mom had blurted out all the things she knew about the Deshayes bloodline. She even had some old articles which I flicked through with interest and intrigue. In fact, I was surprised to know one girl from the bloodline once lived too close to our town.

No wonder.

I was never interested in the clan business so they asked everyone to stop telling me the important details. They were hypocrites by blood. Even as a child, I saw the greed for power in their eyes.

"I know someone who can help. He's a good guy." She offered, seeing the mess that was my bed right now. There were papers every freaking where.

Interesting. "Really?"

"Yes, I have known him since forever. He's not from here but he helps out from time to time. I think you've already met him." I always tried to forget about these people so it's highly unlikely I'd still want to remember. But mom didn't need to know that.

"Fine." I stood up, gathering the articles that seemed important. "Where do I find this guy?"

"Ok, don't be mad. I may have already called him and told him about your problem?"

I glanced up, seeing the guilty smile on her face. I couldn't stop the chuckle. "Mom, I'm not mad. I can never be mad at you."

"Oh, thank God."

When I wanted to know more, she started telling me how we always didn't belong to the Red clan. Apparently, my great grandparents from mom's side belonged to another clan near the town. But since the place was destroyed, the survivors scattered around other clans and we got into this one.

Talk about bad luck.

"Also, can you ask him if the spell worked? It's for some plan B, whatever that means." Mom asked with a worn-out smile. Something told me she didn't like revisiting the memories.

"Yes, of course. But what spell are we talking about? I thought we have a strict no practicing magic for outsider's rules."

"I owe him a lot." She shrugged, looking away. As if the truth was more than I could handle. "You think this clan gives a shit for us? They don't. The only reason they haven't kick us out because of that man. He helped us when I married your father. So when he asked me to close the gate of hell...I couldn't walk away."

Close the gate of hell...

Something like guilt crashed me when she talked. I wanted to be like her once I grew up. Not whatever fucked up version of a warlock I was. Burring those thoughts, I nodded. "I will surely ask him about that spell."

With that, I was marching out of the house faster than I ever ran. As far as I knew, Aaron was taking a nap after pulling an all nighter so it was easier for me to sneak out without his ass following me around. I was thankful for the smallest miracles because what do we know? Byron already left to New Orleans of all places. If I was being tactical, he was desperate, trying to find anyone to help him.

"You were looking for me?"

Startled, I turned around to see a man around in his mid-twenties. The man was freakishly tall, hell, even taller than me. He had a mop of chestnut hair styled into a spike and he was looking at me in a curious manner. Whatever he must have found, made him smile brightly and that's when I noticed he had a ring pierced on his lips.

"Vermon?" The man said, his voice soft yet firm. "We finally meet again."

I could remember some fleeting moments when I was a child. This man...I knew him from somewhere. But this was impossible. Even back then he looked exactly like this. There's no way I could miss that lip ring as this one was the only man to wear jewelry between all of our clan members.