CHAPTER 25 [EDITED]

5132

I was a mess.

All my hope was fucking lost. Mikhail turned out to be after my precious shelf. My trust issues were starting to give me purple flags at this point. And that's not even the worse thing. Turned out, I really needed meds to continue living. After having a seizure that made Hannah sob like none, I was on house arrest. Or whatever Lorette said was needed for me to get back to my feet. I mean I couldn't even be good at being a healthy Reaper.

How could anyone be that imperfect?

Not only that.

Staying alone all day made me start to see Samara again. I didn't know what to think about that. She kept telling me stories of the lost souls, not to believe anyone but myself. To hold onto my sanity. But how could I when I was constantly seeing my dead best friend giving me lectures about life?

"Fuck them," I whispered, throwing a glass at Samara.

She didn't react.

"You left me. He left me. All of you are plotting against me, aren't you?" Picking the broken parts, I pointed a large one toward her. "You want me insane then you want to fix me. Lies!"

"Is it me you're angry at?" She asked, pity in her gaze.

"Who I'd be angry at, huh? You all-" I was just about to force myself to sound indifferent when my door was ripped open.

"It started again!"

Startled, I looked at the door to see Lorette with a worried frown. Oh, fuck no. If these witches were being possessed again... "Where's Hannah?"

"She's taking control of the ritual room right now. Also, they threatened to kill everyone if you don't show up." Lorette sounded too tensed to a liar. Usually, they just shouted and disappeared themselves but I had to admit, it was a new way to approach us. Did they finally learn how to command the coven?

"Come on." I sighed, looking at the mirror in front of me. Shit, I was hideous. Refusing to see the damage, I jogged out of the room to see the most horrible thing anyone could've ever face. Lorette's face held the same horror I was trying to hide.

There were bodies throughout the hall room and kitchen. Some were half dead and some were already dead. Didn't they cry or scream? I should've known if there was that kind of murder going on. My nose started to pick up the familiar smell of death and I could hear those tunes again. That lullaby...There was something else in here. I couldn't see it, but I could feel the pull. It was toxic and deadly. I hurried to the ritual room with a whimpering Lorette and froze.

"Run." Lorette looked at me shocked. I nodded at her with an apologetic gaze. "You have to run and ask for help. I can't leave considering they want me."

Lorette choked out a scream as she also saw what was left of the coven. "But 5132-"

"The coven comes first. Go!"

Lorette didn't need another push. With new determination, she rushed through the maze of possessed members of our coven. Only when I knew that Lorette safely ran out of the manor that I allowed myself to enter the ritual room.

There was at least hundreds of member staring down at the corner of the room where Hannah was in, chanting something loudly. I couldn't help her like that but I wasn't completely useless. Taking off the necklace I got from Keisha's stuff, I let it dangle between my fingers, feeding off those crazy witch and warlock's energies.

Some of them must have realized what I was trying to do cause even Hannah's attention was on me. "What are you doing!"

"Saving us!" I yelled back, pushing past the possessed members. Those eyes gazed at me in fear and anger giving Hannah time to slip through a trap door. The best part of this manor? There were trap doors only Hannah and I knew.

"Don't you know if someone wants something, you definitely don't give them that?" Hannah chided with a smile. "You can hide it now. You're going to suck my energy dry too."

Oops.

"What to do now?"

"That book you had, I need you to hide it somewhere safe. They want it." That book? What the hell were they going to do with it?

"They want to practice dark magic? That's it? Disappointing really-" The door was broken with a couple of angry dead witches. Without waiting to see if they caught up to us, we took off to the library. Instead of keeping the book with me, the Volkios argued that it should be in the library.

Now they might have already found it.

Dammit.

"Why do they want it!"

"There was a section in it that I didn't want you to read. There's a spell that's usually used to summon the Seeker who is tied to the Reaper he was meant to kill. They are going to use it on you, hun."

Unbelievable!

"Fuck!" Kicking the door open, I looked around, catching sight of the book. They couldn't be any more subtle even if they tried any harder. Cursing, I snatched the book from a random section only to hear footsteps behind.

"We have to go."

Hannah shook her head, a sneer on her face from how hard she was trying to block the people from getting in. "You have to go. Hide it and don't get killed, please, Lana. Promise me!"

"I...I let Lorette run!" I didn't know I was panicking until Hannah touched my chin. "Hannah, she could have helped you. Dammit!"

"No, she couldn't. She would have died." Hannah shook her head with a sad smile. "I have to hold the fort. That's what Volkioses do. Now, run!"

I didn't know how fast I ran.

Or where.

"Pre io!" I gained more speed hearing the snarl behind me. They couldn't catch me. Not now. Suddenly something slammed me down to my knees with the brutal force they used. Two pairs of hands were grabbing my shoulder to keep me in place before I could even sprint again.

"Master won't be pleased. Take the book and the girl to the Seeker. Hurry up!" He snapped at the rest of the members. He was the first one to say any English word between all of them but I didn't understand who this master was.

Valentine?

Anger like nothing before rushed through me. Teeth bared, I spat at the man holding me. "I'll kill you and your master, you fuck-ah!"

My throat burned as I tried to scream in hunger. If my hands were free, I just knew I would have clawed my throat out. My breath shortened which surprised me to no end. I had only ever felt like this once in my life. When I first met Mikhail. It was pure torture to just feel the Reaper side on the surface and not being able to fully turn. The men laughed around me but it was humorless. Almost like coming from some kind of delirium.

"So, we meet finally." A deadly voice said before I passed out from the pounding in my head.