CHAPTER 12 [EDITED]

5132

I was waiting in the adoption center.

The waiting room looked like something straight out of a shady business place. The walls were white with strain all around them, the room was stuffy and not to mention I didn't need to hide my face because it seemed like no one even looked up from their work to see who was sitting there. Though the blonde woman at the reception gave me a look of disgust until I stared at her, not willing to break it. She was incredibly lucky that my stomach was already full of souls of our neighbors.

On second thought, she'd make a terrible dinner.

"What year did you say it was?" The woman beside me asked, startling me.

"1997, Roth and David Gill." I read aloud, fixing my gaze at the paper I found in mom's car. That woman was keeping it in her car, driving it around for God knew how many years. If that wasn't paranoia, I didn't know what it was.

"Yes, a Gill family adopted a child that time. I can give you her address-"

You got to be kidding me.

"The child just didn't drop from the sky, of course, I already know a Gill family adopted that child. What I asked is where that child came from. All I know is that a woman dropped her off. Perhaps someone named Keisha Dehsayes?"

"It was a closed adoption, I don't know anything else." Fuck.

With a mixture of irritation and shock, I called 5133. "Your witchy magic didn't work. She doesn't even know anything about a Deshayes. You sure I'm not just running a fool's errand?"

From the corner of my eyes, I noticed the woman started to stammer. "W-Witch-"

"Yes, a witch is on my payroll, that's yesterday's news. Keep up."

"A-Are you a witch?" She asked, trying to stagger back. Ouch. Talk about rubbing salt in wounds.

"Do I even look like a witch?" I blinked several times, smacking my forehead. "Why does everyone keeps reminding me of that?"

5133 spoke up from the other side, all chirpy. "It worked just perfectly fine. You sure you didn't scare her off?"

Me?

"I didn't scare her off. Did I scare you off?" I asked, impatiently waiting for the woman to answer. She gulped, shaking her head.

"N-No."

"See?" Humming, I smiled. "Now, how do I know where my egg donor is?"

"Fine. Give the phone to whoever that's near you."

Fine by me. Letting the woman handle the call, I looked at blonde again to see she had her eyes on us again, this time not even hiding her curiosity. Just to have some fun, I smiled, showing her my completely black eyes only to hear a loud yelp.

That's what you get for not minding your own business.

"S-She wants to talk to you." The woman spoke, almost throwing the phone on the floor. Glaring at her, I picked it up again.

"Yes?"

Wherever 5133 was, it definitely wasn't human-friendly. Even I had to listen carefully to understand what she was talking about. "She was from the Red clan. If you want answers, start with that place."

That's it?

"Even I knew that." I released a deep breath, not wanting to trigger any more murderous thoughts. "You made me run in two places only to tell me what I already knew?"

I heard what could have been laughter. That bitch. "If I didn't, you wouldn't have believed me. Now that you have the paper as proof that you are adopted and your mom knew, get your ass over here. We're flying out tonight."