SHATTERED LIFE [EDITED]

DARKNESS

Blank.

Worried.

Pissed.

Everyone wore those looks every time I glanced at the people passing me by. They weren't even afraid that I was there. Which was ironic, as I knew the crowd would go crazy once they knew who was standing among them. But the survivor clan members were more interested in listening to the cold-eyed leader who was yelling like an obsessed man in the middle of the town square than me.

"I've already found the girl you all want. I know all in your blood revenge burns like a sage but I want to be the one dragging her here. I want to be the one ordering her punishment. At first, there will be whippings." The crowd yelled hell yeah as if they could feel the scenery already happening around them. "Then you all could take out your revenge on her as you wish and finally, she would be burned at this very place. In front of us and humans alike."

Ok, I had to raise my eyebrows at that. I didn't think they were this angry at that witch if they were willing to burn her like the century-old witch trials.

"I, Coen, promise to take this Red clan as mine. I will protect it, unlike our diseased leader who could not even tame his own daughter." His sneer made the crowd once again yell in frenzy.

I stood and watched the man order his clan members to get a cup and a knife, for sure to take his place as an official leader. But before he could go to that part, a woman rushed toward the man with a knife hidden in her skirt's pocket.

"My husband was not weak! You will not disrespect your former leader like that. I will not allow you! And what are you all doing?" She whipped around to glare at the people around her. "You're allowing this bastard to take over when you know it's my place in this clan. It's my responsibility to take care of you and yet you all doubt in me?"

Some of them were curious to watch both of them battling for leadership. Some looked like they didn't even care who would take care of them.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were still grieving?" Coen narrowed his eyes at the woman in displeasure.

"I was and I will keep grieving but that didn't mean I abandoned my clan." The woman furiously threw the words back at the man before drawing the knife she was hiding before.

I watched in amusement as the man's body ran cold with dread and he shrieked. "Help! Help me! She's going to kill me!"

What an utter fool.

When no one came to help the man, I walked toward the podium with my jaw tense, my eyes as dark as the night, promising violence in my stance. People around me gaped watching me join Coen leisurely.

"Who are you?" Coen snarled, noticing me for the first time. It was funny how his voice might've been strong but his whole body was shaking. It only took a minute when I dropped on my knees, showing my neck in submission.

"Sire, I'm here to help you," I whispered with a tipped smile. The woman glanced at me once and staggered back.

"D-Dark-" She couldn't finish her sentence when suddenly Coen turned around and slapped the woman across the face so hard that she dropped to the ground. I had to hold myself not to release my shadows when the woman started coughing out blood.

"Kill her." When no one responded, Coen took the knife from the woman's hand and gestured toward the whimpering crowd. "Kill her before I take one of your family members as her place."

"No need." I now stood at my height, staring down at Coen. "Just imprison her, my sire. I'm pretty sure she will die grieving alone."

The woman cried out in fright when five men from Coen's side dragged her away from the crowd. The said man had a satisfied smile on his lips when he turned to me.